Hi all, we're going on a cabin camping trip soon (10 webelos, 5-6 dads), the cabins hold about 6 people. I don't see anything specific in YPT/Guide to Safe Scouting as to how to handle this. My assumption is that if kids are mixed with adults then minimum of 2 adults in a cabin, and bathroom/shower must have a closable door. I'm not sure we'll have enough cabins for adults to be completely separate (and we may run into webelos who want to be their dads).

Thanks for any advice.

This is from the Guide to Safe Scouting (it is point 10 under Leadership Requirements for Trips and Outings:

Single-room or dormitory-type accommodations for Scouting units: Adults and youths of the same gender may occupy dormitory or single-room accommodations, provided there is a minimum of two adults and four youths. A minimum of one of the adults is required to be Youth Protection–trained. Adults must establish separation barriers or privacy zones such as a temporary blanket or a sheet wall in order to keep their sleeping area and dressing area separated from the youth area.

So - the answer is, bring tarps or blankets to establish a partition between the adults and the Scouts.

This is from the Guide to Safe Scouting (it is point 10 under Leadership Requirements for Trips and Outings:

Single-room or dormitory-type accommodations for Scouting units: Adults and youths of the same gender may occupy dormitory or single-room accommodations, provided there is a minimum of two adults and four youths. A minimum of one of the adults is required to be Youth Protection–trained. Adults must establish separation barriers or privacy zones such as a temporary blanket or a sheet wall in order to keep their sleeping area and dressing area separated from the youth area.

So - the answer is, bring tarps or blankets to establish a partition between the adults and the Scouts.

I am trying really hard to understand this. It just seems nuts to me. Ever taken your kid to a swimming pool locker room or gym ?

I keep thinking of Leslie Nielsen in Airplane. "Ever seen a grown man naked ?"

When I was in CS we simply had all adults take YPT. It's 30 mins of their time, explains why we do YPT and gives an added layer of protection to you if something happens as long as you follow YPT.

"Do you like watching gladiator movies?"

It is spring here in the northern Hemisphere......

So why in the world would anyone want to sleep in a cabin in anything other than zero degree weather???????

If the adults need beds to sleep on fine..... Pitch yourself about 5 tents outside and let the webelos sleep in those....... Probably save yourself a bunch of money in the process.

In those little tiny sheds putting up blankets and such is ridiculous. Just send the boys outside when you guys need to change and you step outside when they want to change. bunk boys with their dads.....problem solved.

It is spring here in the northern Hemisphere......

So why in the world would anyone want to sleep in a cabin in anything other than zero degree weather???????

If the adults need beds to sleep on fine..... Pitch yourself about 5 tents outside and let the webelos sleep in those....... Probably save yourself a bunch of money in the process.

In those little tiny sheds putting up blankets and such is ridiculous. Just send the boys outside when you guys need to change and you step outside when they want to change. bunk boys with their dads.....problem solved.

But you think tents are the devil's tools. What happened ? :)

Aren't they supposed to sleep under plastic ? If I recall Irwin Mainway used to hawk plastic tents for scouts on SNL. Lol

But you think tents are the devil's tools. What happened ? :) Aren't they supposed to sleep under plastic ? If I recall Irwin Mainway used to hawk plastic tents for scouts on SNL. Lol

Too funny. ;)

Cool I have a cyber stalker........

Glad you guys enjoy laughing at those doing with less. We sure did camp under plastic sheeting......because that is all we had.

Simmer down now. The Johnny Rocket Space Suit image and scouts under plastic sheeting like corpses was just to irresistible. If you ever want to make a trip to St. Louis, our troop would love to host you for a campout and show you around town. Let us know what you want to do and we can make it happen.

Just realize most of the troops that have a bunch of stuff have acquired it over many, many years. My troop has been at this school for at least 30 years. The Dutch ovens are probably older than that. I can't imagine what it would be like to start with nothing.

Our troop did a cabin thing in February. I was not a proponent. But I like our leaky tents.

Cool I have a cyber stalker........ Glad you guys enjoy laughing at those doing with less. We sure did camp under plastic sheeting......because that is all we had.

Meh...you ae a bigt ont to throw people using tents or going on big trips under the bus, but when someone in a good spirited manner puts your own words back at you you get all a tizzy? MB is right, what a chip you have on your shoulder. You think nothing of diss'ing guys who have more than you. Weren't you the one who said certain jokes never get old when called out about "rich white guys"? It's a two way street brother. But understand something, those guys below were not making fun of you or being poor. They were using your anti-tent words against you in a fun-loving fashion.