Our chartering org is very tight on space. As a result, most of the camping gear ends up getting stored at my (the Scoutmaster's) house. My son (who is one of the patrol leaders), mentioned that because of that, I always end up checking everything in, and he ends up washing things that weren't properly washed. He ended up appointing a Patrol QM to keep up with the cookbox, and then we had our Troop QM keep up with Stoves, propane, lanterns, etc. But this means stuff is scattered all over, and we have to deal with a lot of craziness if someone can't make a trip. We do have a troop trailer, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am with leaving everything in there.

So, how do you bigger troops handle gear? Do patrols have their own gear, and then check out certain items from the Troop QM? Or is everything kept at the Troop level, but stored by patrol? We're at one patrols, moving to two when the Webelos cross over.

We are a Troop of 3 patrols. We are VERY fortunate to have a considerable amount of storage space about 50 yds away from our meeting site. Even with this space we do still store a fair amount of equipment inside our trailer. I do see 1 or 2 news stories a year about Troop trailers getting stolen, usually from church parking lots. I personally don't see a problem with keeping gear in the trailer as long as the trailer can be kept in a secure location. Obviously that doesn't necessarily give you an adequate space to air out / dry your tents after a campout. As far as improperly clean dishes, I say let them figure that out at the next campout when it comes time to use them! By you and / or your son properly cleaning the cooking gear after the fact just reinforces the boys not cleaning them correctly when they should. The PQM should be checking to make sure that the gear is properly cleaned and stowed prior to turning the gear over to the TQM for long-term storage.

Look for a thread title "It stinks being a leaders son".

He gets stuck setting up tents and washing dirty pots.......The fix for it is send the gear home with the scouts to be brought back to the next meeting clean and dry.

We spent our sunday afternoons setting up tents and taking them down after they dried......Ya it did stink......

At this point I don't care............It isn't my gear it is the boys gear.....If they don't take care of it, not my problem......Last campout the Alpha patrol put all of their cook pots way dirty......So guess what they spent friday night at the next campout washing pots, pans and utensils instead of playing ghost in the grave yard......Lesson learned.......You should have heard the patrol sunday morning packing up......I think every patrol member inspected the patrol box........A lesson they will never forget.......dried stuck on scrambled eggs and stinky old potato pans. Made my stomach turn.....

Assign specific tents to each patrol they are completely responsible for maintaining them.

Dirty tent.....well ya used it last trip.....

Gear is hard to come by.......But my personal time is more valuable......

..."no one goes home after a campout until every piece of patrol gear passes inspection...."

Keeping mom and dad waiting impatiently in the parking lot while scouts fumble around with their filthy gear...scouts rewashing dirty dishes in the parking lot, shaking out and refolding tents...yep, tough but memory making lessons on "clean as you go" and "do it right the first time" and "take care of your stuff."

Guarantee, you only need to do this once (or twice) before the scouts get the message!

<<......Last campout the Alpha patrol put all of their cook pots way dirty......So guess what they spent friday night at the next campout washing pots, pans and utensils instead of playing ghost in the grave yard......Lesson learned.......You should have heard the patrol sunday morning packing up......I think every patrol member inspected the patrol box........A lesson they will never forget.......>>

In my opinion, about 50% of the value of Scouting is discovering that actions have consequences that you can't avoid.

If it rains we have the kids split up their 2 person. 1 takes home the tarp, the other the tent. Dry it and return at next meeting. Usually works but I had an older scout send the tent home with a newer scout. I think he planned it that way. Anyway I got it back and had water running out the bottom of the tent bag. Kid didn't do crap.

Took it home and son and I set it up and next day it still smells moldy. Hope the frabreeze works. Gonna do some "discussing" at the next meeting.

If it is moldy masking it with frabreeze will not do anything. You need to kill the mold.

If a scout with asthma or allergies gets it you may be in trouble.

I would attempt to hand wash it in water with a little bit of lemon juice do not rinse setup to dry, then rewash with tech wash. If the smell does not go away........The scout that did not do his job owes the troop a new tent. I would find the tent online and hold a SMC with Mom and scout and hand them the bill......

If it is moldy masking it with frabreeze will not do anything. You need to kill the mold. If a scout with asthma or allergies gets it you may be in trouble. I would attempt to hand wash it in water with a little bit of lemon juice do not rinse setup to dry' date=' then rewash with tech wash. If the smell does not go away........The scout that did not do his job owes the troop a new tent. I would find the tent online and hold a SMC with Mom and scout and hand them the bill...... [/quote']

There are a few good threads online about geeting modl out of tents. If it has not "set" yet you may still be able to get it out. Sometimes you can get the mold out but the stain remains.

We have assigned tents by patrol so they have a bit more accountability in taking care of the tents. Our QMs keep track of issues like this and make sure the same Scouts get those same tents on the next camp out. ;)

If it rains we have the kids split up their 2 person. 1 takes home the tarp' date=' the other the tent. Dry it and return at next meeting. Usually works but I had an older scout send the tent home with a newer scout. I think he planned it that way. Anyway I got it back and had water running out the bottom of the tent bag. Kid didn't do crap. Took it home and son and I set it up and next day it still smells moldy. Hope the frabreeze works. Gonna do some "discussing" at the next meeting. [/quote']

Febreeze doesn't kill mold, it just disguises. Set up tent and clean using a weak bleach solution (lower than 1 part bleach to 6 parts water, use more water if you're using concentrated bleach). As mozartbrau says, it is very possible that you can kill the mold, but not get rid of the stains. The quicker you clean it the better.