Off to Philmont on Saturday, June 30

Countdown to Philmont, we leave at 3:00AM from the Council Service Center to get to the Newark Airport. Due into Denver Mid morning and off to Colorado Springs and the fires there have our itinerary in a wad. How is the area around COlorado Springs? We were to hike in the Garden of the Gods and do the railway ride up Pikes Peak. Those plans seem to be history now.

Be at Philmont Monday and hit the trail Tuesday. Trek 30 for those keeping score at home

Its pretty bad, I'm sure Garden of the Gods is out. Pikes Peak may be OK. The Air Froce Academy is a great visit as well, but the fires are close there as well.

Where are you staying and how are you getting around. And if it fits, check this site out in LaJunta way south of the fires. Its worth the visit. Be sure to check the Dancers tag to get their times, this is all done by a Boy Scout Troop and it is very impressive.

http://www.kosharehistory.org/

Barry

It's real touch and go and pretty bad around Colo Springs. Garden of the Gods is out and probably AF Academy. White Water is farther south and over a large area, so you should be OK there, but it might be smokey. There is plenty to do around where you guys are staying, so the tour company should keep you busy.

Have a great trip and drink plenty of water at Philmont because the arid air at the altitude dries you out fast. First sign of a headache, drink. Oh, and don't feed the bears. LOL

Barry

News reports indicate USAFA is closed, with (at least some) cadets evacuated and new class of cadets being housed and inducted elsewhere.

Photos seem to indicate I25 has been changed into one way for the evacuation.

OGE: I am leaving tomorrow for Philmont. We are doing Trek 16 and go on-trail at Cathedral Rock on 6/29. Although unlikely, I will keep an eye out for you... Have a great trip!

YiS,

David Olson

Heard from the Touring Company. PIkes Peak and Garden of the Gods is off the table. WIll be going to Red Rocks park near Denver and then a full day of WHitewater on Sunday, I guess thats one was of hydrating. Still going to Denver

• 3 weeks later...

Back and survived...

COlorado Springs is alive and well. Had to endure a full day of White water down the Arkanas and went under the Royal Gorge Bridge(!)

Did Trek 30 and went up Baldy by route of the Gully trail. more later, have several emails to do first