http://www.atvrideronline.com/newsfront/1203_atvp_boy_scouts_of_america_ads_atv_program/index.html

"...BSA updated their camp standards to allow for ATV use at approved camps only. It adopted the ASI RiderCourse curriculum as the official training course for leader/instructors and Scouts. And it applied state-by-state requirements for age of operator and other applicable laws. Over 200 Boy Scouts participated in the pilot program. American Honda Motor Co., Inc. provided the ATVs -- including 150 vehicles for the 2012 camping season -- through its Rider Training Loan Program. Individual councils pay for helmets and safety gear.

BSA Councils with ATV programs up and running are in 11 states: Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Mississippi, New Jersey, North Carolina, Texas, Virginia and Washington. Councils in another 5 states -- Arkansas, California, Oregon, Maryland, and West Virginia -- are in the process of creating a program.

At the approved summer camps, ASI-trained adult volunteers lead the ATV program. Scouts who choose to participate pay an extra $30 in their camp fee to include the week-long ATV activity. They attend the rider course for a few hours each day, completing the curriculum and ending the week with a trail ride or combination riding/camping experience. The councils that were most successful had trails, but they also took them out on a campout, said Wellen. They had them put their tents and gear on their ATVs, and they got to ride to a part of the property that nobody else got to camp in...."

Schiff,

I read something similar last year regarding this pilot program. I believe jetskis are also being tested certain camps. To find out if ATV and Jetskis can be safely applied into a Scouting program.

Let's hope BSA Safety can find some good, reliable guidelines, to expand some of the fun to motorized events!!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

well neither of these will happen at our council as both of these things. ATV's and Jet Ski's are prohibited by law in the wilderness area wher our camp is.

Another knife in the back of traditional scouting.

Seems like bubba camping to me but I have not seen the program nor witnessed scout response. I would expect scouts to pick ATV over hiking :(.

No nearby camps are doing this, but I found the following:

Del-Mar-Va Council, Henson Scout Reservation (Delaware) , nice muddy photo, no additional cost

http://www.doubleknot.com/openrosters/ViewOrgPageLink.asp?LinkKey=17806&orgkey=1516

Erie Shores Council, Camp Frontier (Ohio), +$60

http://www.psrweb.org/ATV.html

Equipment list to bring: long pants, long sleeve shirts, boots that cover your ankles, some mention gloves (riding, mechanics, etc.)???

My $0.02

The Delaware camp in the list actually refers to Henson Scout Reservation, in Maryland, part of the Del-Mar-Va Council. That's my home camp. There is a great trail system there ... but I sighed deeply when I read the notice from the council.

In recent years, since I served on staff, the camp has added John Deere "gator"-style battery-powered vehicles to help staff ferry equipment around camp. In my day, we used to use hand-carts to haul our water jugs, boxes of rope, hatchets, etc., around.

• 4 months later...

"Minneapolis (August 15, 2012) - Polaris Industries Inc. (NYSE: PII), the leading manufacturer of off-road vehicles, today announced the company has donated a total of 28 Polaris all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) and safety gear to the Boy Scouts of America's Northern Star Council's Tomahawk Scout Reservation, the second largest Boy Scout camp in the nation, and the Northwoods Camp, run by The Salvation Army, the world-wide leader of social, youth and rehabilitative services. The donation, valued at $100,000, is part of Polaris' long-term partnerships with the two organizations, focused on youth ATV safety practices and outdoor sports.

"Our partnerships with Boy Scouts of America and The Salvation Army offer outstanding opportunities to demonstrate how ATVs can be a positive educational tool for youth," said Scott Wine, Polaris CEO. "By introducing young people to the sport in a manner that emphasizes the importance of safety and responsible ATV ownership, Polaris can entice a new generation into the powersports community while providing a great experience for thousands of young people."

The Boy Scouts of America's Northern Star Council's Tomahawk Scout Reservation, located in Birchwood, Wis., is the destination for approximately 6,500 Boy Scouts, Webelos and adult leaders every summer. The new ATV program at the camp encompasses all aspects of safe ATV operation and ATV maintenance. Boy Scouts enrolled in the program also have the opportunity to earn merit badges for their participation. "

http://www.4-traders.com/POLARIS-INDUSTRIES-INC-14008/news/Polaris-Industries-Inc-POLARIS-INDUSTRIES-DONATES-0-000-IN-ALL-TERRAIN-VEHICLES-TO-LOCAL-YOUTH-14463520/

I still have my doubts but have not seen this program in action.

Camp Somers (Mount Allamuchy Scout Reservation, Patriots' Path Council) is one of (or the only) camps in NJ to offer the pilot program. I was there this summer with my troop and had two scouts old enough, but neither tried it. One had thought about it and I gave him a permission slip (the program was so new that they couldn't get the slip out before camp, so they authorized unit leaders to sign in the guardian block, provided they could get a verbal from their parents), but he didn't go.

I've got probably 15 boys and two adults who have gone through the program and completed the certification, including a number who have done it twice. They love it.

Basementdweller's got the right idea. I don't know how this is any different from water skiing or motorboating.

I've got probably 15 boys and two adults who have gone through the program and completed the certification, including a number who have done it twice. They love it.

Basementdweller's got the right idea. I don't know how this is any different from water skiing or motorboating.

I don't see much need for the "Disneyland" rides at camp. Just a way to give kids opportunities to be stupid and hurt/kill someone...maybe themselves. Training or no.

Mine would likely not partake in it, since one of his all-time favorite teachers was turned into a paraplegic in an ATV accident several years ago. Darn shame.