Region 7 canoe base wisconsin

Never made Region 7 Canoe Base, but would guess what you had was Bannock. Recipes abound on the net. A variation is call Fry-bread. I don't know the recipe, I just make it. Bisquick, water, a pinch of salt, some oil (not much). I mix it up and fry it. Never exactly the same two times in a row.

eagle2160,

I've never attended Region7, but I found a recipe for Hudson Bay bread from BSA's Northern Tier High Adventure Base that they fed us on our canoe trek in 2005.

HUDSON BAY BREAD

1 1/2 LBS. MARGARINE OR BUTTER

4 CUPS SUGAR

2/3 CUPS KARO SYRUP

2/3 CUPS HONEY

2 TSP. MAPLE FLAVORING

CREAM TOGETHER THE ABOVE INGREDIENTS.

ADD WHILE MIXING:

1 1/2 CUPS GROUND NUTS

19 CUPS QUICK COOKING OATMEAL

Spread in a large sheet pan, 18 inches x 26 inches. Press it down into the pan. Bake at 325 degrees in a convection oven for 15 to 18 minutes. As soon as the bread has been taken from the oven, use a spatula to press it down. This presses the bread together to keep it from crumbling. Cut it while still warm. For home-size preparation, cut this recipe at least in half. A conventional oven requires a longer baking time.

Many great memories of that base on White Sand Lake in Boulder Junction, Wisconsin. I visited the Region 7 Canoe Base as a scout and numerous times as a leader. Yes it was Hudson Bay Bread. That bread is memorable. If you let it harden in the air you can also use it to drive nails! I'll never forget the wood burning sauna at the end of your trip! HEAVENLY!

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have a list of routes they used to take out of the Region 7/Northern Wisconsin National Canoe base? Obviously, the lakes and rivers are still there.

Since we're not that far away and could easily travel north to paddle some of the routes, we'd like to do it.

Anyone have an old route manual?

Wisconsin has a ton of rivers and many of them are easily accessible for boys' outings. May I recommend the Brule and the Flambeau. Both excellent to give the holder boys a challenge and the younger boys a thrill.

Also there's the sea kayaking out of northern WI in the Apostle's Island area or over in Door County. You're close enough for BWCA as well.

Just ask around, everyone in the area has a favorite, mine's a tossup between Brule and Flambeau.

Stosh

What I meant by my question was does anyone have a copy of the specific canoe routes that participants at Northern Wisconsin/Region 7 used to take? If not something in print, maybe some direction as to the lakes and rivers that were frequented by the crews.

I've paddled the Flambeau. There aren't too many rivers better.

• 5 years later...
Chief -

I may still have maps from our many trips to the Region 7 Base. After I get back from this weekend's campout, I will venture into the attic and see if I can locate them.

Dale

Hello: wondering if you ever found any guide book etc of canoe routes kids took up there. Happened upon this site yesterday. thanks dr bob rlderrig@gmail.com