Troop historian? job duties?

my son has been appointed 'Troop Historian'

in our troop - that position means nothing - it's never been defined. but I think Jon can make it his own - we have discussed it briefly in light of two things: First Jon and I both like photography, so we take many photos of the troop in action - which I've posted on the web site, but never got around to putting in an album. Second, Jon's Grandma is into scrapbooking - He really likes all her 'tools' and is very creative. We've talked about him making a scrapbook for the troop - which he could do as part of his 'Historian' position.

if he can DO something with this position, I think it will help convince the boys in the troop that he IS capable of more.

however, we would be open to other suggestions as responsibilities of the job - as no one in our troop ever had a clue as to what to do with it?

what do other "historians" do for their troops?

Laurat7

I would have your son make sure that he takes pictures of everyone at every event.

I would also recomend a display the the building or the sponsoring organization that he changes or updates at least once a month. Parents and siblings and younger scouts love to see what the scouts are doing.

For the campout I recommend a disposable or cheep camera.

(if it can be broken it will on a campout)

Also he can be the backup or assistant scribe at the same time.

Bear

Well if your son is gonig to take pictures and stuff a lot i'd suggest asking PLC and Troop Commmtiee for Film for the camera so you can purchase it or get throw aways. That can get expensive really fast. Also any newspaper clippings just get a bulltin board and post those on them.

How about putting the pictures on a poster board with graphics cut out from paper and then attach them with plastic wraps he could keep an on-going "Troop album" and then pass it on to the next T.H. this would be a nice display at COH's or somehthing visiting Webelos can look at. Please make sure he takes pictures with plenty of scouts in it.

Troop Historian, eh? Can be an interesting job if you want it to be.

Here are some possibilities (depending upon how good and how interested the Troop Scribe is.)

1)Webmaster for the Troop or else for the history section of the Troop website (listing and biographies of past Eagle Scouts and SMs, past great campouts, etc.)

2) History section of the Troop Newspaper (You do have a Troop Newspaper, don't you? If not, maybe editor of the Troop Newspaper.)

3) Organize (or coordinate or support) a Troop reunion.

4) Organize (or coordinate or support) an exhibit on Troop History for the Troop Meeting Room or for Courts of Honor.

I'm sure your son can think of some others. I note that several posters have suggested photos, etc. I hope that if your son does that, he has access to a digital camera. It makes things like this SO much easier.

BTW, I noted that your original post was about advancement. You should know that, officially, the only requirement for advancement is to hold the job; there is no performance standard. (Some Troops do, of course, impose a performance standard.

I would suggest that you try to arrange that an ASM or Troop Committee member be assigned to work with the Historian. Maybe even the COR if they are an oldtimer with the Chartered Organization. Part of the reason that Historian can be a nothing job is that no adult cares about it.

Troop Historian can be a very good starting place. It gives the boy a chance to be in the spotlight on occasion, but it causes no real harm if nothing gets done.

Responsible To

Assistant senior patrol Leader

Specific Duties

Gather pictures and facts about past activities of the troop and keep them in scrapbooks, wall displays, or information files.

Take care of troop trophies and keepsakes.

Keep information about troop alumni.

Set a good example.

Wear the Scout uniform correctly.

Live be the Scout Oath and Law

Show and help develops Scout Spirit.

From the Scoutmsters Junior Leader Training Kit.

I like the suggestion that an adult advise the historian.

Depending on the young man and his interests, there can be much more depth than keeping photographs and organizing them.

Somewhere buried in your council service center is a file or files with every re-charter the troop has submitted (to varying degrees -- mergers of councils and fires have destroyed some) but the Scout could go back and develop a list of past youth and adult names, research who is still around, interview them about the troop's history and pull together a multi-media presentation or a scrapbook.

Just a few thoughts. I'm sure there are more possibilities.

DS

• 2 weeks later...

Well, our troop is S-l-o-w about some things - but I guess I'M his 'advisor' for this one -

We have started collecting all the photos we have (scattered all over the house) and putting them in a box to be sorted. /the other night the committee approved the purchase of some albums and materials for them and gave us the key to the cabinets so he can start sorting thru the historical photos and documents the troop has for the scrapbooks (the troop is 85 yrs old and we have some great old memorabilia)

We recently had an Eagle COH for one of our boys - and started an Eagle plaque donated by our CO church - Jon has notified the local papers what we are looking for any past Eagles from our troop to get their info on the plaque - since the council records aren't so great in the far past - we figure a local city approach might help.

At the moment the big concentration is on a district camporee this weekend - but I suppose he'll work in spurts on his 'projects', depending on his school stuff and what's going on in scouts....

but in the plans - along with the 'albums' - Jon will do a 'display case' at the church - and possibly one at the local library. part of his 'duties' is to go thru the 2 large cabinets we have at the church that have alot of old awards, ribbons, plaques, books and paraphanalia from years past - so he should find plenty of interesting stuff to work with...

We'll get more into it after this campout is out of the way, though...

Well, our troop is S-l-o-w about some things - but I guess I'M his 'advisor' for this one -

We have started collecting all the photos we have (scattered all over the house) and putting them in a box to be sorted. /the other night the committee approved the purchase of some albums and materials for them and gave us the key to the cabinets so he can start sorting thru the historical photos and documents the troop has for the scrapbooks (the troop is 85 yrs old and we have some great old memorabilia)

We recently had an Eagle COH for one of our boys - and started an Eagle plaque donated by our CO church - Jon has notified the local papers what we are looking for any past Eagles from our troop to get their info on the plaque - since the council records aren't so great in the far past - we figure a local city approach might help.

At the moment the big concentration is on a district camporee this weekend - but I suppose he'll work in spurts on his 'projects', depending on his school stuff and what's going on in scouts....

but in the plans - along with the 'albums' - Jon will do a 'display case' at the church - and possibly one at the local library. part of his 'duties' is to go thru the 2 large cabinets we have at the church that have alot of old awards, ribbons, plaques, books and paraphanalia from years past - so he should find plenty of interesting stuff to work with...

We'll get more into it after this campout is out of the way, though...

thanks for asking about him!

• 2 months later...

Our historian also does an interesting thing by keeping a notebook to record "who is there" at every meeting/activity. With their ranks/positions/whatever, it would make a good record to know who was where and if any leadership needed to know if "Johnny Junior" was at a certain campout/fundraising activity, then just look at the notebook. We also take photos, etc. One other thing the historian did which was SUPER I thought was create a power point program for an Eagle COH. Then the CD was given to the boy's parents and one for him. It was filled with photos of the boy at different scouting activities as well as other "scout related" photos supplied by his parents. I think that was one of the best ideas I'd seen in awhile for a gift for the boy and parents.

MollieD.

• 1 month later...

All of what I have read are great ways for your son to be successful.

Also: Since he is the Troop Historian a scout should be able to ask your son about History maybe about your town or area that your troop covers. This will show to other boys that to hold a position means something, and its not just a patch.

Also: Try to advise him to read up on some Boy Scout History. Know the founders etc..and maybe a little about other programs in scouting( sea scouts, venture scouts). Not a lot of course..these are kids. Just a few facts..maybe just that they exist!

Goodluck to your son, a great position to hold!

Yours in Scouting

VentureScoutNY