Webelos Advancement Questions

While I am the cubmaster for the unit, my oldest son is only a Bear this year so my in-depth familiarity with the Webelos program is limited to when I was that rank back in the 80s. The question is on when do they earn certain pieces of their advancement bling.

• Do they get their shoulder colors as they graduate from Bear to Webelos, or is that earned after they earn their Webelos rank in Webelos-I?
  • They have to earn three activity pins to get their rank, so if they do not have colors already how do they display them (on their hat is what I've read, but that sounds sketchy).
  • Are they awarded those pins while working towards their rank, or do they get their Webelos badge and all pins earned up to that point at once?

My thought is they would be given their hat, neckerchief, slide, book, and colors as they transition from Bear to Webelos-I. As they earn their required pins they get put them on the colors. Later in that program year they would earn their rank badge and continue working on pins for AoL. Is this correct?

Thank you for your time!

I would wait until they move up in June to buy anything since everything Cub Scout changes to the new program June 1st.

Or at the very earliest wait until May 1st when all the new, indepth information comes out, including books. Hopefully national learned from the fiasco that was the Centennial Uniform.

I do not know if they are keeping the Tri-colors or not. But currently Webelos can wear the activity pins on the hat. BUT again that may change June 1st.

Your thinking is correct. However' date=' I do think they can wear pins on the hat if they want to.[/quote']

Thank you!

I would wait until they move up in June to buy anything since everything Cub Scout changes to the new program June 1st.

I was under the impression from reading the new program material that current Webelos-I boys had the option of continuing on to Webelos-II using the current AoL requirements. Current Bears going into Webelos-I next year (as is the case for my son) will have to use the new program.

If this isn't the case I have a lot of learning and knowledge sharing to do in the next 6-8 months.

That's correct, current Webelos I can continue with the same progam next year. Current Bears will use the new Webelos requirements next year. I found a "Bryan on Scouting" that seems to indicate that Webelos will still get pins, and will still use the tri-colors. But this was from last May, so I'd also wait until the final word comes out before buying anything new.

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2014/05/21/looping-you-in-on-the-cub-scout-2015-updates/

and just to clarify, the colors aren't earned, they are just bought, Anytime is fine, in my Pack we just ask the parents to have them ready to go by the time those first activity pins are earned. I always thought putting them on the hat seemed like a bad idea.

Our custom was that we would "award" the colors at the first pack meeting when the Web1s were getting something, usually that first fall meeting. That way the pins got on the colors and the colors didn't get lost over the summer (or at camp).

Our custom was that we would "award" the colors at the first pack meeting when the Web1s were getting something' date=' usually that first fall meeting. That way the pins got on the colors and the colors didn't get lost over the summer (or at camp). [/quote']

Seconded. We take the same approach - colors come with the first activity pin. This is a little bit more record keeping for the Advancement Chair though.