One Hundred Thirty Five

I often see these stories and wonder if the Scouts actually appreciate what they've learned. Please don't get me wrong; I applaud this Scout for his achievement! However, I have a young Scout in my Troop who has this same goal. At present, he has a whole sash full of badges that he can't identify when asked. When you ask what he learned or what his favorite part of earning the badge he just shrugs it off. Unfortunately, it just sounds like he's burning himself out on advancement and losing sight of Scouting as a whole.

I hate to sound like a negative Nelly but I don't know that earning every merit badge is a good goal.

Merit badges are designed to give scouts an Introduction to a topic, not master the topic. It is a chance for scouts to get acquainted with a topic to help them decide if they want to learn more or find out it is not for them. National often touts that many scouts choose avocations and vocations based on the merit badges they attempt.

I can tell you that while I completed all the required merit badges to the rank of Eagle, I probably could not tell you anything that I learned from many of the required "school work" MBs. Did the work to get the check off for the requirement. Did not hold my interest. There are other MBs I completed that I can tell you more about the topic than most people want to know. 40 years later I think I still remember most of lifesaving merit badge.

If you look at some of the artwork for some of the badges, you would be hard pressed to identify them. I know my sons earned a few badges because they were in the right place at the right time. Wasn't the goal, they were just having fun. Ask them what the badge is and what they learned they would probably shrug as well.

One son is a member of the local indoor rock climbing club. I was part of a rescue squad who taught fire fighters how to rappel and perform high angle rescue. Our family did a lot of rope work and climbing. He knows more about ropes and climbing than most. What he specifically learned for the badge is lost in a haze of a lifetime of enjoying the hobby. His response would probably be that he learned nothing since he had been active in that area. My guess is the badge formalized some of the stuff he had been doing or learned.

I have a Scout like that in my unit. Eventually I'll be pushing him to start taking some of the bigger leadership positions like Patrol Leader, Guide or Quartermaster, but it's a delicate balancing act. I'm glad he has enthusiasm for Merit Badges, and I want him to have that enthusiasm while getting engaged in other aspects of the program.

I'm glad he has enthusiasm for Merit Badges' date=' and I want him to have that enthusiasm while getting engaged in other aspects of the program. [/quote']

Exactly my point, too, Sentinel! The young Scout I mentioned earlier is currently serving as Patrol Leader and I'm afraid his merit badge program is affecting his performance as PL.

Resqman, I understand your point, too. I think merit badges are great! However, not if it interferes with the Scouting journey...