Issues with Advancement and rank please help

Last summer i went through three boards of reviews and got tenderfoot,second class,and first class my leaders all know i completed the rank because they were there, but they had not officially got me the badge for first class. Recently I lost my book which had all my current ranks signed off in it. I just got a new book and was wondering if i had to start over at scout or could I just get everything i had before signed off please help I have summer camp soon and I don't want to start over at scout

Make sure you talk to your leaders right away and ask them if they would at least sign for your first class in your book. That way you'll be able to keep track from where you left off. Don't wait until your scoutmaster conference for star to make sure everything you've done so far has been recorded with the troop and your awards are on the way. :o

If I had a dollar for every lost book I collected...... At worst you just need to get the person who signed you off to sign it off again. Remembering the date will the challenge, but there are usally other witnesses to help in most cases. Barry

There should be Advancement Reports filed with council that document previous rank advancement. Council and troop should have copies.

Also, there should be Board of Review records for rank advancement.

I agree regarding the advancement report. Someone should check, though, to make sure everything that is supposed to be there IS there and make sure the unit has a copy. This council in the past has had some serious errors in our record and it was only because we had a correct set of records that we were able to correct the record for the council at the time of rank advancement for some of the older boys. In some cases they had scouts from other troops in our list and some of our boys were missing, or were more than a year in error regarding age, not to mention the morass of switched, missing, and mixed advancements among the boys in the unit. DO NOT take for granted that the council will have your records for you. They might be correct. Or they might not.

I would suggest to KomerJ to:

1. Keep your book up to date.

2. Get your sign-offs right away.

3. Scan/Photo said pages monthly.

4. "Sync up" your book with Troop records as needed. (My boys send their signed off page scans to our Troopmaster record keeper when they can't meet in person)'

5. Get your advancement report at least once a year and double check. When I visit our Council scout shop I get a copy if the office is open and see there is a discrepancy,

6. After a COH or when you are awarded put your Rank and MB cards in a notebook with baseball card sleeves.

If you do all this when there is an error or dispute you have the weight of evidence on your side. And it is really good practice for life.

The correct answer is it's your responsibility to keep up with your advancement, not the Troops, District's, or Council's. Your next step should be to request a Scoutmaster Conference to talk about what needs to be done; only your Scoutmaster can answer that question ... I suspect after giving you a hard time, and talking about responsibility, he'll give you direction on how to get the information in the new book, and once you've done that, compliment you on achieving First Class.