This should bring some discussion going forward

From the advance notice on National site; Proposed changes in 2016. http://www.scouting.org/filestore/program_update/pdf/2015_Program_Change_Overview_Cub_Scouts_Boy_Scouts.pdf

Boy Scout Change Summary

NOT Changing

• Current ranks or approach (T-1

concurrent; S-E sequential)

• Use of merit badge program

CHANGING

• Scout becomes a rank

• Additions:

– Service @ all ranks

(conservation related at Life)

– Health eating/habits

– Some reordering (T-1)

– Physical fitness at each rank –

T-1

– Outdoor ethics – LNT & TL

– Weather safety, risk

assessment & mitigation

– Duty to God incorporated in

requirement to show Scout

Spirit.Boy Scouts - Transition

Current Requirements

New Requirements

Jan.

Current Requirements

MUST Be Used

Transition Period

(See Following Detail)

New Requireme

Wow a Task Force! Seems an overly big production for minor changes, e.g. Page 7 is a beaut.

So to use MBA-speak, the executive summary is

1. All will now use Boy Scout oath, law, and salute. Adjust accordingly.

2. AOL will no longer require earning Webelos. This was the BIG reason that it made no sense for a new scout to join Webs in 5th grade and instead wait or not to join Boy Scouts... long overdue.

3. Other minor changes which you'll see when new handbooks come out. You may now return to your regular programming.

Things that will problematic

Cub Scouts - " For each rank...include a family-based Duty-to-God adventure.", feedback from parents has been MYOB.

Boy Scouts -

"Some reordering (T-1)". Hah, why not just go back to working one rank at a time in sequence!

"Duty to God incorporated in requirement to show Scout Spirit" Huh? What about Duty to Country, Duty to Other People, and Duty to Self ?

My $0.02,

Schiff; I suspect the "duty to God" element is aimed at strengthening the program against the next political attack after the current one comes to its likely final outcome regarding leaders. Do not see anyone attacking BSA on the duty to country, others, or self elements so no need to strengthen them in comparison. JMHO of course.

Schiff; I suspect the "duty to God" element is aimed at strengthening the program against the next political attack after the current one comes to its likely final outcome regarding leaders. Do not see anyone attacking BSA on the duty to country, others, or self elements so no need to strengthen them in comparison. JMHO of course.
You're probably right. Maybe it was just poor phrasing on their part that struck a nerve, to me, Scout Spirit is all those duties together.

Brad Smith chairing Leadership Development on this Task Force, wonder if he is the same who strongly opposed the May decision?

Slide 2 says something about changing to provide today's Scouts with what the both want and need. How many Scouts have complained that the program needs a greater emphasis on nutrition, religion and outdoor ethics? No, me either.

One constant want since I joined in 1969 has been to cut down on the school-work merit badges, but I see no mention of that.

I see that the sports and academics program is to be discontinued for cubbies. Am I correct in assuming this is the end of the big distraction of belt loops?
are you kiddding.

The beltloop program has got to be one of BSA's biggest cash cows. the couldn't possibly get rid of it.

Mom sits down with johnny cub and looks at the website...Hey you did this when you were three, this at school, This on vacation two years ago. Bang......30 bucks worth of belt loops. with a profit of $25. Johnny Cub feels like big man on the block with a belt full of crap, yes I said crap, that has little meaning to him other than Shiney.

I was surprised to see that too. I think the belt loop program is a good addition I'd hate to see it go (and don't forget the corresponding pins which aren't easy to earn). If a DL is running a decent den program, most of the den is done with their rank badges by February. BL are great filler programs, either for the spring or sprinkled throughout the year. And you're right Base, but at 7 or 8 Shiney is pretty good motivation.

• Downvote 1

What I found interesting is that there is no mention of Kindergarten Lions. Many folks were assuming that BSA was waiting for the Cub program re-write to include the Kinder-Cub level.

It seems that BSA will not be taking that program nation-wide as of the 2015-2016 Scout year.

• Upvote 1
I was surprised to see that too. I think the belt loop program is a good addition I'd hate to see it go (and don't forget the corresponding pins which aren't easy to earn). If a DL is running a decent den program, most of the den is done with their rank badges by February. BL are great filler programs, either for the spring or sprinkled throughout the year. And you're right Base, but at 7 or 8 Shiney is pretty good motivation.
Maybe the old BSA is listening to the BS leaders in that their is too much bling in cub scouting and that we lose boys when they cross over because they don't receive enough awards????? Seen some cub uniforms that are way out of line with crap on them, they look like youth woodbadgers.

A few boys are motivated by shiney....But I have picked up probably 100 belt loops off the floor after Pack meetings, never to be claimed. So my point, the boys don't really care about them. The old achieve to easily, esteem to lightly.

Cub Scouts Design Objectives Slide 7: Opportunity to Enhance Fun w/ Academics & Sports Pgrm

Cub Scout Change Summary Slide 11: Changing - Academics & Sports program discontinued 5/15

??

That one flew right by me.... ?? is right
Wow a Task Force! Seems an overly big production for minor changes, e.g. Page 7 is a beaut.

So to use MBA-speak, the executive summary is

1. All will now use Boy Scout oath, law, and salute. Adjust accordingly.

2. AOL will no longer require earning Webelos. This was the BIG reason that it made no sense for a new scout to join Webs in 5th grade and instead wait or not to join Boy Scouts... long overdue.

3. Other minor changes which you'll see when new handbooks come out. You may now return to your regular programming.

Things that will problematic

Cub Scouts - " For each rank...include a family-based Duty-to-God adventure.", feedback from parents has been MYOB.

Boy Scouts -

"Some reordering (T-1)". Hah, why not just go back to working one rank at a time in sequence!

"Duty to God incorporated in requirement to show Scout Spirit" Huh? What about Duty to Country, Duty to Other People, and Duty to Self ?

My $0.02,

1. The Cub salute, sign, and handshake are not changed. (p. 5)

I am very disappointed to hear about the discontinuation of the belt loop program. It is a big part of our scout program including summer camps, focusing family trips, activities at den meetings, and belt loop days. I really enjoy the belt loop program and how it is geared to different age groups. There is definitely an earning aspect happening for young kids and they should be rewarded. The belt loop program was perfect for enthusiastic scouts to take scouting to the next level.