Cooking Merit Badge - New Requirements

Looks like the cooking MB requirements are finally released:

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/201...g-merit-badge/

From 1/1/2014 to 12/31/2014, boys can use either the old or new requirements.

Although the structure of the badge is still the same, there are some significant changes to the new requirements. The first part is still the "learn and explain" part, replacing the food pyramid with the "MyPlate." However, it requires more in individual application of healthy eating guidelines (appropriate meal plans based on the scout's own level of activity), and the introduction of different types of cooking methods.

The second part is still the "plan and do" part, and the number of meals required and type required (at home, at camp, and on the trail) are still the same. However, the people the scout serves are now required to evaluate how well the scout did. Multiple cooking methods are required for the "camp" part, and the "trail" part now explicitly requires meals to be prepared while on a hike or backpacking trip.

Also, cooking done for the badge cannot be the same as used for rank advancement.

Although I could take or leave all the MyPlate stuff, I think the other changes are good, particularly as it relates to the trail cooking part. The changes do make the badge much tougher in my opinion.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm happy that the "My Plate" requirement reads as "or whatever the hell the USDA is calling food groups these days"

I earned the "old" Cooking MB last March. It's cool to have a discontinued merit badge on my sash!

While it is definitely an improvement, including possibly strengthening the outdoor elements by actual trail/camping meals, I would like to see a bit more about proper cleanup in the process. I guess it is covered in the first part with discussion, but it is not very specific, or at least I do not see it. Good move though.

To be honest, if I was king, I'd combine parts 4.b and 4.c into requirements 6 and 7, then I'd move requirement 6 into the Camping MB (with the caveat about not using the same meals as used for rank advancement) and requirement 7 would be duplicated in Backpacking and Hiking, with the same caveat. I mean, you have to eat when camping, backpacking and hiking right, so why not incorporate camp cooking into camping and trail cooking into the trail merit badges?

I'd probably expand requirement 4 then in cooking to spend time talking about the differences of cooking in a gas stove top vs an electric stove top vs on a gas grill vs on a charcoal grill vs a smoker etc. Yeah, I know that turns Cooking MB into a life-skills kind of thing but I think that's ok.

I really think this is a positive change. While the previous version required the boys to plan trail meals, it didn't require them to cook them on trail. I know that was the intent but you know how that goes--if it's not written it isn't so. Now the boys MUST get on the trail to do this badge and it is Eagle-required.

Maybe Kudu will even be happy. Just a little? Nah, probably not. ;)

Nah, definitely not.

"The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to get indoor boys to Eagle without ever walking into the woods with packs on their backs."

Anyone who has ever witnessed a Wood Badger or adult Eagle parse our Congressional Charter knows that the words "backpack" and "hike" have no meaning without specific mileage requirements.

Without the Journey system, all Scouting is Cub Scouting.

http://inquiry.net/advancement/traditional/journey_requirements.htm

Maybe Cooking MB is a bit overdone. Simplify. First requirement, scout must be at least a First Class scout! Next, design the merit badge such that a First Class scout can complete the outdoor patrol cooking on a weekend outing.

I think many troops would be hard pressed to find the time for their scouts to fulfill their various cooking requirements. Our troop has more than half our scouts trying to complete their Second and First Class cooking by summer and another six scouts want to earn Cooking merit badge in the coming year.

3 scouts/patrol/outing could pass Second Class cooking

OR

1 scout/patrol/outing could pass First Class cooking

OR

1 scout/patrol/(2 or more outings) could complete outdoor cooking for Cooking mb

My $0.02

I earned the "old" Cooking MB last March. It's cool to have a discontinued merit badge on my sash!
My son did the same thing. He earned the "old" Cooking Meritbadge over the spring and summer. I asked him if he wanted the new silver Cooking MB patch, and he looked at me like I was crazy.
My troop had a class that started late November 2012 which was spread over several campouts and ended in March. It wasn't till the summer that I realized it was to become required, now I get to watch all the Star/Life scouts, who are getting close to Eagle, now they have to earn an extra MB that most of them didn't realize was being upgraded to Eagle-required. They should have gotten it while they had the chance!

Nah, definitely not.

"The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to get indoor boys to Eagle without ever walking into the woods with packs on their backs."

Anyone who has ever witnessed a Wood Badger or adult Eagle parse our Congressional Charter knows that the words "backpack" and "hike" have no meaning without specific mileage requirements.

Without the Journey system, all Scouting is Cub Scouting.

http://inquiry.net/advancement/traditional/journey_requirements.htm

Kudu your negativity is such a killjoy.