Just finished the 134 merit badge thread. So I an sitting here wondering why such a huge emphasis on getting 21 merit badges and a project done? If I somehow mention that I was a scout back in the day, it's 10 to 1 that the next question will be " Did you earn your Eagle?"

Well ya I did

But that was only a small part of scouting.

If I close my eyes and drift back in time I find I don't remember any Courts of honor.

I do remember... sunrise on the tooth....the Ordeal night....learning to be a den chief...then a patrol leader....listening to the owls calling to each other across the river on a dark night...a bunch of boys laughing and learning and growing into men together

A few weeks ago I think I shocked a fellow scouter when I told him I was prouder of my OA sash than my eagle badge. I tried to explain that while any one with the will and the drive could get an eagle, being elected by my peers to the Order meant that I was trying to live the Oath and Law. trying

How did eagle become the benchmark of a youth in scouting well spent?

Oldscout

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why get a HS diploma? When you look back at HS do you remember the quadratic formula or your prom? The paper you wrote for your junior English class or hanging with your friends? If you answered wi

Dcsimmons, I guess I actually DO remember that stuff and more. I was the first ever for my troop to achieve Eagle. Most of the other guys kind of put it down as something that scouts in our troop were

I don't know. I am going to assume now, and you know what happens when you assume :)

1) parents, and grandparents in some cases, who got Eagle pushing their kids to get it.

2) parents who were involved in Scouting, but never got it pushing their kids.

3) the "everyone wins a trophy" mentality our society has today and how Eagle can be seen as a real accomplishment.

40 How some folks see it as a check list item to get the job, college, military occupational specialty they want.

Forgot to add, I too remember my trips best of all. Especially my Canada trip. And while I am proud of being an Eagle, I have friends who did not get that far, but I would trust with my life in the outdoors if things hit the fan.

Only a small handful of people you will meet understand that value of the program the way you do. This is because they have no personal or direct experience with Scouting. What they do know or have probably only heard about is Eagle Scouts. It's an incredible brand. Eagles are still held in great respect, even by people who don't really know anything else about Scouting, certainly far beyond those actually involved in the program.

Forgot to add, I too remember my trips best of all. Especially my Canada trip. And while I am proud of being an Eagle, I have friends who did not get that far, but I would trust with my life in the outdoors if things hit the fan.
True that! I have two sons in their upper 20's now, both in scouting until 18, both SPL, OA etc. One eagled the other stopped at first class. The first class son is by far the better, axman, shooter, (rifle, pistol, or bow) he moves through the woods like an Indian. I listen to them talk of their time as scouts, and I can not say who got more from the program

Let's see: because I pursued Eagle Scout I: - learned to develop film long before I joined camera club. - understood how to read weather maps. - made insane orienteering courses. - had one-on-one conversations with bank presidents, county sherrifs, professors, miners, EMTs, clergy, organists, journeymen, etc ... Because other boys were earning it I ... - Learned to use the come-along that was hanging in my dad's garage (logs for trout ladders) - learned every detail of steam locomotives (from inside the boiler out) - gained a healthy respect of mountain laurel and limestone caves in the same weekend .., and the list goes on. But that should be enough to answer your question.

Why get a HS diploma? When you look back at HS do you remember the quadratic formula or your prom? The paper you wrote for your junior English class or hanging with your friends? If you answered with the latter option to either of those questions does that mean your diploma isn't worthwhile? Same thing for your college degree. Do you remember the ins and outs of the logic class you took or tailgating at the homecoming game?

Really, the Eagle bashing needs to stop.

• Upvote 2
"I have friends who did not get that far, but I would trust with my life in the outdoors if things hit the fan."

I agree 100 percent, Eagle 92!

When First Class Stopped being the Highest Rank in Scouting.

Personal Achievement...The End Goal of Scouting....Eagle Scout...An Obtainable Goal with a Clearly defined guideline.

Just Like in OA Brotherhood is an Obtainable Goal for Every OA Member... Vigil is bestowed you don't have a Checklist..

I join a Program I strive to be the Best I can be...Not just a Plain Lackey

In JROTC I could of just been a Corp Member instead of Excelling and being Promoted Cadet Lt. Colonel as Brigade Executive Officer. In Scouting I knew what I could Achieve and Accomplish without someone having to give me. After Eagle other BSA Recognition is by Nomination. Politics come into play...You Don't just get Silver Beaver..Or Distinguished Eagle. You have to politic to get it. I know many Scouters who won't be Vigil or Silver Beaver no matter how many years they stay in Scouting because they don't Politic they won't be consider or you "Contribute" your Way into those Honors

Dcsimmons, I guess I actually DO remember that stuff and more. I was the first ever for my troop to achieve Eagle. Most of the other guys kind of put it down as something that scouts in our troop weren't supposed to want to do but I was intrigued and when I read the requirements I realized that not only could I do this, the process was probably going to be fun. So I set it as a goal and worked toward it. Keep in mind that back then I could drive on a learner's permit at age 15 (I was driving a school bus at 16). So things back then were much different, not to mention the absence of an Eagle project as part of the requirements. I have always thought far more of my Eagle than my HS diploma. Actually, I have very positive memories about scouting and the work I did for Eagle and fairly negative memories about high school (it's complicated). For that matter, the only diploma I really think is of any significance is the terminal degree but mostly because that's finally the end of it.

That said, I don't list Eagle on my resume. Never have. It isn't a professional qualification. It means different things to different people and really the only person it has real meaning for is me, so I don't advertise it. I do know that my mother was very proud of the collection of mother's pins that she accumulated from my scouting days (I made sure they were with her when we laid her to rest).

I personally couldn't care less about the awards we hand adult scouters. If you didn't achieve what you could have as a boy, it's over. Don't try to compensate for those omissions as an adult leader because it's not about adults. It's about giving boys the opportunities to experience some of the things we experienced and to earn whatever ranks they choose to pursue. The program has changed. Society has changed. But spirit has not. I guess I'm just a curmudgeon.

• Upvote 1
Why get a HS diploma? When you look back at HS do you remember the quadratic formula or your prom? The paper you wrote for your junior English class or hanging with your friends? If you answered with the latter option to either of those questions does that mean your diploma isn't worthwhile? Same thing for your college degree. Do you remember the ins and outs of the logic class you took or tailgating at the homecoming game?

I guess I wasn't clear, sorry. I was not trying to bash Eagle as a thing well worth earning, or being proud of. On the rare occasions I wear mine, an Eagle Coh for example, it still gives me a thrill to pin it on.

I was trying to fathom why most people I meet seem to think that earning the Eagle rank is the only important thing in scouting

I think we in Scouting create that mindset. We often say "Do your best" and that often is misinterpreted as earn your Eagle. Advancement method is way OVER-emphasized. Cubs earn all their ranks, so why not Boy Scouts. We honor and showcase those who earn Eagle, the others not as much. Maybe we should bestow a higher Court of Honor to those, whatever rank, who remain in Scouting until they age out. Or those that serve as youth leaders for year after year, say a scout who served well as PL for 4 or 5 year straight. Say wouldn't it be cool to have gold of silver bars on a PL patch for such scouts?

My $0.02

Don't know if this happened nationally, but 11 years ago, our council received an endowment from someone who asked "why aren't more boys making Eagle?" And, the donor(s) wanted their gifts to go to programs that addressed that question. As a result, our council camp had a "trail to Eagle area" that star and life scouts could hang out and discuss what they needed to complete advancement. Let's face it, in some troops kids don't see anyone making rank, but if they see boys from other troops year after year, they might conclude like Pack, "Oh, I *can* do this."

Benchmark......Ask the guys in the marketing department.

I never pursued it as a youth. Just happened. of course my troop had a solid program as a youth. I was astonished when my SM asked me about my Eagle project, I was having too much fun.

Now it is about busy body parents, checking off lists to get their boys into college. I am lucky that most of my boys will go to Junior college, tech school or military so Eagle isn't a big line on their resume. While I have a few parents heck bent on advancement, the vast majority of the troop are surprised with I will ask the scout if he is interested in a conference.

They are having fun.....Sound familiar.

Don't know if this happened nationally, but 11 years ago, our council received an endowment from someone who asked "why aren't more boys making Eagle?" And, the donor(s) wanted their gifts to go to programs that addressed that question. As a result, our council camp had a "trail to Eagle area" that star and life scouts could hang out and discuss what they needed to complete advancement. Let's face it, in some troops kids don't see anyone making rank, but if they see boys from other troops year after year, they might conclude like Pack, "Oh, I *can* do this."
In an active program Eagle is easy.

So you have a lad that is life, is Patrol Leader, shows up for the service projects, is active in the program. Other than big daunting service project, what else is needed?????

A SMC with the Life scout, saying, hey any thought on your project??