Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Earned ALL 134 merit badges in protest to labelled too young for Eagle?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could have been a ballerina but I had that pesky, defective Y-chromosome.

Comment

• qwazse
      qwazse commented
      Editing a comment
      Daughter's friend is a pro ballerina. Just like earning all the MB's, home school helped her pursue her passion.
      The down side: zero time for venturing -- and these were parents who made a sincere effort to make scouting work for each kid.

• King Ding Dong
      King Ding Dong commented
      Editing a comment
      Also a great way to meet lots of attractive girls.

• Tampa Turtle
      Tampa Turtle commented
      Editing a comment
      One of my co-workers lads is a professional ballet dancer. As one of the few hetero-sexual males he gets chased around a LOT. Occupational hazard is the older woman hitting on him. Tall enough and good enough he is heavily recruited by schools and dance companies. Did say he has learned that sweaty girls stink as much as boys. I would agree he is an athlete.

Earning all the merit badges is like driving all 47,00 miles of the interstate highway system. Sure, it takes a lot of time and effort, but to what end? My first question would be why would you want to do either? Nor is it the purpose/intent of either.

Of course you then want the rest of us to pretend it's some great accomplishment on the order of winning the Indy 500. But becoming an Indy driver requires real skill and talent, not to mention years of practice and dedication. Driving every mile of the interstate system only takes time, money and a cast iron butt.

Comment

• RememberSchiff
      RememberSchiff commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree. I wonder where it starts .... My mission as a WL was to prepare my Webelos for Boy Scouts which meant resisting outside pressure to earn all 20 activity badges.

• Twocubdad
      Twocubdad commented
      Editing a comment
      Attaboy!!!

"Because it is there." And "because I can".

Comment

Im sure its possible, I just question how much the boy retained from cramming all of those badges into that short of a time (combined with all his schoolwork as well). I know its not a requirement to retain anything from a merit badge....just seems like this is more of a "just so I could say I did it yay me" instead of actually learning 134 topics. How much could he tell you if you asked him about Pottery, or Scout Heritage, or Oceanography?

Comment

not sure how anyone can do this and have an active school and social life and even then get old enough to have a job too. But I'm not saying it can't be done. But my big question is WHY get them all done now before he's even 14. So great he thinks this might speed up Eagle, but then once he get's Eagle what's left to do??? All he can do after getting Eagle is wait his times for the different Eagle Palms since he has be badges already. So great to have a goal to earn them all, but why get them all done before you are 14? Just sounds stupid to me.

but as always that's just my opinion!

Comment

Yeah, kindof wonder if 20 or 30 years from now he will look back at these merit badges that now hold absolutely no meaning, and think.. "I could of had a childhood".

Comment

• Basementdweller
            Basementdweller commented
            Editing a comment
            No when his lad is a scouter, he will be the guy at roundtable that says, oh your only an eagle, well I am an eagle with 10 palms.

• jpstodwftexas
            jpstodwftexas commented
            Editing a comment
            Basementdweller commented Yesterday, 02:19 PM
            No when his lad is a scouter, he will be the guy at roundtable that says, oh your only an eagle, well I am an eagle with 10 palms.
            The Saying is Once and Eagle always and Eagle. An Eagle is a Eagle, Palms or no Palms.

I admit I have mixed emotions on this. On one hand I too have questions on how we went about the process. If he focused on himself and his goal instead of working with the troop on event as someone mentioned, I think the priority is in the wrong place. If the MBs were pencil whipped, I have a problem with it.

BUT if someone really ticked him off, and he created this goal as a way of proving the other guy wrong AND went about it the proper way, then OUT FREAKING STANDING.

Way back when I was a young ASM I got ticked off at some folks at RT and on the district committee who said I didn't know anything about Scouting due to my age and /or I don't have any knots. Thus came my goal to get as many knots as I could. Stupid I know now, but that is how I thought at the time.

BUT as someone mentioned, will it matter in x number of years? Even after I earned my Scouter's Training Award and had a "real" knot instead of my youth knots, I was still ignored by the folks.Even after receiving Vigil from my lodge, I was I don't know anything about the OA from some of those same folks.

Comment

Folks, calm down......You're not hearing me.... This Merit Badge Maven WAS in school. The MBs were no doubt his curriculum. Depending on his personal family situation, (the parents arrange the tutorage, either they teach and assign or some other arrangement) a home schooler may be under the aegis of a "central academy" that gives justification and accreditation for his learning. This "academy" awards a state approved diploma. With very few exceptions, every MB can be given some academic credit. Name me a MB, I'll give you some academic credit for it. Scoutson went to Philmont and Seabase, wrote essays about his experiences (english, geography, natural history). Smallboat Sailing at Summer Camp? Used that for pieces of phys ed and physics.(force and simple machines, bouyancy, ) , Orienteering (magnetism, maps and geography, geometry), Physical Fitness (ditto), . True, Scoutson did not pursue all the MBs, but rest assured, them he earned , we used 'em for his schooling. He is now pursuing a certificate at the local Community College AND working AND paying his own tuition doing it. Many of his professors (i've met some of them) comment on how mature he behaves compared to some of his "normal" schooled colleagues of similar age..

A hundred MBs in 3 years? I might have spaced'em out a bit more, but , hey, it is possible.

Did the parents become the MBCs? Maybe, but the allowing of THAT is not in question. Who would 've allowed that?

Will the Scout remember much of the MB stuff? Do you remember much of your seventh grade history?
            Oh sure, I do remember and use alot of my Scout stuff and Scoutson has made note of that as we tie things on the cartop, or work around the house, or deal with an otherwise disagreeable neighbor. Maybe, just maybe..... this scout will claim some skill he learned at 14 , later on in life when needed.

Comment

• moosetracker
              moosetracker commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry, if earned that way, then still not done right. the Merit badge program is not meant to be taught in a classroom setting, or replace your school curriculum.. Here is one big NO.NO. "The parents arrange the tutorage.." Basically none of these merit badges were due to the scout having any interest or effort in controlling his own pace or planning. He just sat, and let people organize for him and lecture to him, or assign him homework, which he did with as much interest as, well, homework..

You just defined the kid as a puppet that the parents control his every breath.. So that is a lot of detail on how this scout did it. Do you know the kid personally?

No, I don't know him "personally". I have known many home schoolers, and there are many different reasons why they and we chose to go that route. The MB programs lend themselves very easily to a school subject, as I noted before.
            We are , after all, only making suppositions about this particular situation. The parents (who are in charge of the "home school") decide the how and when and why of the childs tutalege. Maybe they used the MBs maybe not. But if their Scout decided to go the whole route, hey, let's get on that band wagon and use it to our advantage. Does the boy take music lessons? Play the trumpet? There's a MB for that. Is there a community actors company nearby? There's a MB for that. Does the local community college have some non-credit classes in, oh, I don't know, pottery, ceramics, sketching, auto mechanics, there's a MB for that. The home schooler uses the community as an extended classroom. Nothing is outside the realm of a lesson to be learned. As the HSer gets on in years and can exhibit some advanced knowledge, it is not unusual for the community college to allow the older high schooler to take the entry level courses, with or without scholastic credit.
            Does the parent "control his every breath"? No more or less than the other average parent, except that the HSer is much more connected to the parents and the rest of his family . They tend to know where their kid is and what he is doing moreso than many other parents. They assign and correct and praise and critique and guide more than the other average parent, who demonstrably leave alot of their kid's upbringing to others: nanny, teachers, soccercoach, SCOUTLEADERS......
            So if the kid... ANY kid... decides to pursue the goal of earning each and every MB, I say more power to him. If he does less than the posted requirements and is passed on, I say that is not our look out. Maybe someone there knows about that , but we can only guess and , maybe, if we meet this Scout , we can get him into a conversation about the subject important to us. "Hey, I got that Aviation MB a long time ago! Did you have any trouble with the VFR guides?" and see what he does....

Comment

As a dad of five home schooled kids, I admit we used the scouting program a bit. They make wonderful ready made mini lessons.
              But I must admit I just can't see how I could have used ALL 134 of them.
              An old truism " Ya get out of something what ya put in" most of the scouts in my old troop got leatherworking at camp. made a key ring or something. I went to a guy who did leather for a living. He made me EARN that badge. He added nothing to the reqs. but I had to do it right! not some slipshod, halfway attempt. Needless to say that's the merit badge I'm proudest of.
              I can't help but wonder if this scout will be proud of any of his....
              a sad thing if he can not.
              Oldscout
              PS I still do leather work from time to time

Comment

Some other newspapers have now picked-up this story, neither link below mentions that he was earlier denied Eagle because he was too young. Both articles below mention
                1. his goal is to earn Eagle by his 14th birthday this January.
                2. he plans to continue in Scouting
                3. He is homeschooled
                4. Working to earn all MB's "just happened"
                5. believes he is 210th scout to earn ALL mb's
                6. nothing about parental help

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/me...ry-merit-badge
                http://newstimes.augusta.com/news/20...ry-merit-badge

One interesting statement was the following:
                "Though (scout) can buy the badges he’s earned, he’d rather wait until mid-December, when they’ll be presented to him at a quarterly Court of Honor ceremony."
                Wow when did this happen? Ok scout congratulations, you earned these merit badges. Here's your receipt (blue card), go down to the scout store or scoutstuff and buy 'em. Say they are having a sale - buy 3 merit badges and get 20% off on your next merit badge pamphlet.
                Have to admit, I have felt like tell some helicopter parents this, when our troop's recognition process wasn't fast enough for them. What next out-source COH to local scout store?

My $0.02,
                Last edited by RememberSchiff; 11-24-2013, 01:00 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

• moosetracker
                  moosetracker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Glad to hear he is staying in for a while, hopefully he will have time to learn what scouting is all about and learn the real merits that it is trying to teach. Strange though that his parents are going to let him stay, rather then planning a whole new bunch of hoops the poor kid must jump though in order to prove himself

• Basementdweller
                  Editing a comment
                  That is BS, had a parent go directly from a Merit badge day, Merit Badge Super Saturday to be exact and go directly to the scout shop because she knew I would not allow it. The boys fill out the merit badge.com work sheet turn it in for a signature. BTW, not sure whose signature from the troop was on the cards

Quality of the experience is zero.

The lad left our troop so not our problem but still will be one of the low quality eagles I speak of.

• moosetracker
                  moosetracker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wasn't sure how it was done, but there was a kerpluffal with our troop when a parent did this also. But, I think it was due to the scout store not following protocol, and there was something our Advancement chair did he shouldn't have.. So there was something that there were checks and balances in place, but the scout sneaked through do to some dropped balls (and very manipulative parents, because they knew they were sneaking something through)..

Anyone ever think we should set a Standard Number of Merit Badges and do away with all the Fluff ones?
                We need to concentrate on certain Skills and their Knowledge retention. What good is a 134 Merit Badge Eagle who can't remember how to Stop Bleeding or perform CPR no matter what age they are 13 or 18 or anywhere in between.

Comment

• moosetracker
                  moosetracker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agree with qwazse.. The 134 Merit Badges is not for someone to do them all, they are there to give you options to have elective merit badges in things that really interest you.. Although I was happy to see the Cooking MB become required, I did think that a good change, I was not happy to see it reduce the number of elective MB's the scout gets.. I am someone who thinks the 3 Citizenships should be merged into one MB.

I kindof look at the Merit Badges of similar to College course. There are courses you are required to take for your chosen major, but then there are electives where you have the ability to choose what you want to take.

• Basementdweller
                  Editing a comment
                  It was before my time as Scoutmaster, the BS part is the filling out the merit badge.com worksheets and then turning them in for immediate credit.

It just dawned on me, I witnessed boys qued up with MB.com worksheets in the Cit in community line, I wonder if they did their 8 hours of community service.

• perdidochas
                  perdidochas commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I might get rid of some of the one hour merit badges--fingerprinting comes to mind, but in general, most of the MBs are good subject matter that will motivate some scouts to want to learn. The troop program should be to concentrate on certain skills and knowledge retention. I'm a big fan of all the nature type merit badges, for example. If I had my druthers, Nature would be a required MB. I have said it a lot of times, but I agree with Moosetracker about Citizenship. One CItizenship MB would be sufficient.

Where is the rule written by BSA that once earned a Scouter can't Purchase a Merit Badge but have to wait because it has to be presented by Unit at a Court of Honor?

Comment

• perdidochas
                  perdidochas commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The rule is that a merit badge patch can't be bought until an Advancement Report for it is filled out. I think it's up to the Troop, but in my Troop, we give out Rank patches right after the BOR, but wait on the MBs for the Court of Honor. We can only do this because we have a supply of rank badges from before the new rules.

Originally posted by jpstodwftexas View Post
                Anyone ever think we should set a Standard Number of Merit Badges and do away with all the Fluff ones?
                We need to concentrate on certain Skills and their Knowledge retention. What good is a 134 Merit Badge Eagle who can't remember how to Stop Bleeding or perform CPR no matter what age they are 13 or 18 or anywhere in between.
                You can't possibly mean Scouting as it was understood by Baden-Powell: Proficiency Badges that measure a Scout's current proficiency in Boy Scout skills only?

Bad idea!

That would attract boys who like camping, in the same way that basketball teams attract boys who like basketball, baseball teams attract boys who like baseball, football teams attract boys who like football, and soccer teams attract boys who like soccer.

The Merit Badge system is designed for adults with a marginal interest in Cub Scout outdoor skills for teens, but seek to make up for the shortcomings of the public school system by turning Scouting into after-school school.

Oh, the horror that a Boy Scout might pick up Personal Management in a one hour trick-or-treat session, while we struggle to uphold the standards that most red-blooded outdoor boys hate, have always hated, and will continue to hate until the end of time.

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

Comment

• Kudu
                  Kudu commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Easy enough to test, isn't it?

Dilute your local high school's football training with Personal Management and the other required Merit Badges, and see what happens to the team's proficiency.

• Brewmeister
                  Brewmeister commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is a false analogy.

The purpose of football (or any sport) is to teach the players to play football. Period.

The purpose of Scouting is "to train youth in responsible citizenship, character development, and self-reliance through participation in a wide range of outdoor activities, educational programs, and, at older age levels, career-oriented programs in partnership with community organizations."

Even the congressional charter, which you often cite, specifies a much broader purpose of Scouting: "[T]he ability of boys to do things for themselves and others." Scoutcraft is but one part of that; "teaching" is explicitly cited as another.

• moosetracker
                  moosetracker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's what I said Kudu.. Hands on citizenship, was pushed by BP.. Like the scout who impressed Boyce in London so that he returned to America and founded BSA. That is not necessarily your outdoorsy backwoods man type of scout craft, but it was there.. Do we need 3 merit badges for it.. "No" I also would not cry hard to loose Personal Management as a required course.. But, I am more of the mind that if doing the eagle project, I would rather see the boy fund raise of find donations that do not include Mommy & Daddy donating the funds.. Personal management is something kids need to learn, but it doesn't need to be incorporated into a required Merit Badge

As for First Aid & camping not going far enough in your opinion.. Don't know what else to say, except that if that is your belief you can instill that into your Troop culture and really don't need a Merit Badge to do that for you.

PS Sports in a way is starting to do as you describe, only not being taught in the locker room or football field. But, most schools now insist you keep your grades up to stay on the team.. So yes, to be in football, you can't play hooky in your Math classes.
                  Last edited by moosetracker; 11-25-2013, 08:56 PM.

Well then Lets Broaden the Merit Badge System even more since we don't wanna Stiffle the Imagination and Creativity of the Scouters..Do Away with just Cooking Merit Badge instead we Have French Cuisine, Asian Cuisine, Tex-Mex, Cajun, Italian, German, Kosher, Texas BBQ, KCBBQ, Memphis BBQ, Orlean Cuisine, Southern Fried, Pastry Chef..

Eagle Scouts today are Turning into "shells"
                We Know Longer care if they learn anything and retain their knowledge...Wonder why most Councils stopped having First Aid Meets and Scout-o-Ramas..becuase we know our Scouts don't have the Knowledge or Skill to Showcase them to outsiders any More.

Wonder if Yall feel the Same way about your Doctors and Lawyers?
                I don't want a Doctor or Lawyer working for me who has a case of CRS...

Comment

Working...
                X