Shakin my head here.

Had a lad turn in a Merit badge card last night for Dog Care merit badge. It was signed by a councilor from the district list, the boy did not consult me before taking it.

I know the family and they do not have a dog. So I ask the lad how he completed it with out owning a dog, Thinking maybe he used the neighbors, grandparents dog. Well his explanation was he had a cat and it is basically the same thing.

I am of the opinion of sort of the same thing.....But no you need a dog to complete the log and take care of for 2 months.

Thoughts.

I am going to call the councilor tonight and ask if the lad told him he owned a dog and if he presented the log book. Either the lad lied or the councilor is not living up to his obligations and needs counciled or removed from the merit badge list.

Once the card is signed it is earned. But this is about as blatant a NO GO as you can get.

Thoughts.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My cat comes when called. Sits up and begs for treats and when it's on the kitchen counter and I tell it to "get down", he starts to dance.   So what's the problem?   Stosh

I dunno.

If he completed Requirement 5 with a cat, I would award him the merit badge and the Pet Trainer of the Year trophy! :D

Explain the correct way to obedience train a dog and what equipment you would need. Show with your dog any three of these commands: "come," "sit," "down," "heel," "stay," "fetch" or "get it," and "drop it."

I dunno.

If he completed Requirement 5 with a cat, I would award him the merit badge and the Pet Trainer of the Year trophy! :D

Explain the correct way to obedience train a dog and what equipment you would need. Show with your dog any three of these commands: "come," "sit," "down," "heel," "stay," "fetch" or "get it," and "drop it."

I missed that completely. I saw requirement 4 and thought that was a no go.

How did the boy get a MB card signed by his SM ? Sure he can take care of another dog but I wouldn't accept the cat. That may fall under the Pets MB. Check GTA 2013 7.0.4.7 Limited Recourse for Unearned Merit Badges You need to act swiftly, within 30 days. The Scout may have done the badge because he wants a dog. Hopefully what he did with the badge taught him how expensive owning a dog is. More than the cost of scouts in many cases.

I dunno.

At Mallory Square in Key West there was this french guy who performed with trained cats. He made a decent chunk of change for his (their) efforts.

Make sure the boy wasn't earning Pets MB instead.

How did the boy get a MB card signed by his SM ? Sure he can take care of another dog but I wouldn't accept the cat. That may fall under the Pets MB. Check GTA 2013 7.0.4.7 Limited Recourse for Unearned Merit Badges You need to act swiftly, within 30 days. The Scout may have done the badge because he wants a dog. Hopefully what he did with the badge taught him how expensive owning a dog is. More than the cost of scouts in many cases.
Shakin my head. I wrote that in the OP that I, SM was not consulted because I would have told him no. the merit badge card was not signed by his SM.
Your signature isn't on the card. Badge isn't earned.

Done.

It's all nice that you are willing to call the MBC and that. But that's all extra mile stuff. And I sincerely hope the boy at least qualifies for "Pets", but be clear that the blue card doesn't count for tinder until you sign it, and you don't sign unless a boy comes to you with a reasonable plan for how he's gonna earn the badge.

Time for the angry parent calls ...

Have fun. :(

I dunno.

And how can a MB counselor sign off an a card when he hasn't been shown that the boy's dog does these things? Ridiculous, but probably common.
Q......

I am seriously getting tired of all this Bull pucky. It seems like I have mad parents every single week.

Getting pretty tired of it.

I dunno.

I have the merit badge complain form filled out Just depends on what the council says as to whether or not I file it with council. The boy could have lied or took his neighbors dog over and show him tricks.
My cat comes when called. Sits up and begs for treats and when it's on the kitchen counter and I tell it to "get down", he starts to dance.

So what's the problem?

Stosh

Wasn't supposed to be. :)
Sorry I wasn't more explicit. How did he get a blank MB card period ?