We have a Boy Scout who has received an exemption to one of the Second Class rank requirements from the Council, as he is unable to put his head under water:

Demonstrate your ability to jump feetfirst into water over your head in depth, level off and swim 25 feet on the surface, stop, turn sharply, resume swimming, then return to your starting place.

Our Committee is charged with finding an appropriate replacement activity. Any suggestions?

"Unable"...or "unwilling"?...I had a scout who was 15 before he made 2nd class for the same reason...the look on his face when he finally made it was priceless. He's now an Eagle Scout and a Junior in college.

Can he do water sports at all? Is the disability permanent? Or, does the boy's doctor have an idea of his capabilities? These kind of things will determine the type of activity that would be a suitable replacement.

Simple.......the boy does a crouch jump into the water over his head......with arm spread his head shouldn't go under the water............then he does the rest of the requirement....

or

have him enter the deep end via the swimming pool ladder......have him tread water away from the wall for a few seconds then begin the swimming portion.

I am going to bet that the lad can't swim and is trying to get around the requirement.

seeing as it has been granted I guess it would depend on his exact limitations. You said he can not put his head underwater so I am assuming it might be due to inner-ear issues... if that is the case and he can swim the distance without his head being under water then I would suggest having him just use the steps into the pool and then swim the required distance keeping his head out of water. If you are looking for something totally out of the water then I would suggest a hike or bike ride and set the distance you think is appropriate.

If this is going to be a forever issue I would start the paperwork now for the 1st class swim test too - I personally have never managed any back stroke or float without having ears in the water (assuming that it is an ear issue)

Steve,

I second Stout's post, could you elaborate why he cannot have his head under water? There is a technique of entering water over your head BUT keeping your head above water that lifeguards use and is called a STRIDE ENTRY (caps for emphasis). Here is a link and it's page 60. http://trimbath.weebly.com/uploads/1/0/6/1/10617050/chapter5.pdf

Now here's the deal. While the current version at the link has you using a rescue tube, it can be done without it. Basically lean forward with your arms behind you, "fall" into the water kicking your legs, whipping your torso back, and moving your arms forward pushing the water to keep you up. BUT it takes practice and more than likely will go under a few times.

Now if the problem is related to an injury or surgery, i.e. stitches in the head, etc Could he wear a latex swim cap? If it is stitches on the face, could he wear a face mask? Gotta be careful that the mask stays on, speaking from first hand expereince here ;)

Simple.......the boy does a crouch jump into the water over his head......with arm spread his head shouldn't go under the water............then he does the rest of the requirement....

or

have him enter the deep end via the swimming pool ladder......have him tread water away from the wall for a few seconds then begin the swimming portion.

I am going to bet that the lad can't swim and is trying to get around the requirement.

Always the optimist.

or

Guess you failed to read the rest of the posters???????

More often than not, post like this are attempts to get around requirements for lads that lack the skills. How many threads about double counting service hours??? We are only talking about 12 hours of service total to get to Life scout??????? or the under the auspice thread???? Then we whine because the quality of the boys we are turning out is low.......

My suggestions were fair......No where does it say in the requirement that you have to submerge your head.....

Bottom line, jump in either as 92 suggests or enter in a manner to keep his head above the water......Swim the distance.

In the webelos aquanaut thread, a dad ran is son to the pool every day and they swam till he passed the test......

Steve,

I second Stout's post, could you elaborate why he cannot have his head under water? There is a technique of entering water over your head BUT keeping your head above water that lifeguards use and is called a STRIDE ENTRY (caps for emphasis). Here is a link and it's page 60. http://trimbath.weebly.com/uploads/1/0/6/1/10617050/chapter5.pdf

Now here's the deal. While the current version at the link has you using a rescue tube, it can be done without it. Basically lean forward with your arms behind you, "fall" into the water kicking your legs, whipping your torso back, and moving your arms forward pushing the water to keep you up. BUT it takes practice and more than likely will go under a few times.

Now if the problem is related to an injury or surgery, i.e. stitches in the head, etc Could he wear a latex swim cap? If it is stitches on the face, could he wear a face mask? Gotta be careful that the mask stays on, speaking from first hand expereince here ;)

He can wait till the stitches are out.....

I don't think it is palsey or anything like that from the original post.....

Betting it is another neurotic scout.

seeing as it has been granted I guess it would depend on his exact limitations. You said he can not put his head underwater so I am assuming it might be due to inner-ear issues... if that is the case and he can swim the distance without his head being under water then I would suggest having him just use the steps into the pool and then swim the required distance keeping his head out of water. If you are looking for something totally out of the water then I would suggest a hike or bike ride and set the distance you think is appropriate.

If this is going to be a forever issue I would start the paperwork now for the 1st class swim test too - I personally have never managed any back stroke or float without having ears in the water (assuming that it is an ear issue)

I would never sub a non aquatic activity for this......

he could use ear plugs to keep water out of his ears......

or

I guess you could call the dog paddle swimming, I don't. Can you name a stroke that does not require you to submerge your head ?
Steve,

Hey kettle, its the pot calling. :)
Steve,

Don't think so...

I am not the one micro managing my sons scouting career.....

I am not the one lawyering the rules trying to create a high speed low drag scouting career. I believe in completing as written, but also understand there is intent behind them......

I am a believer that every boy scout should know how to find a spot, build a fire, cook over it, clean it up....first aid skills and swim.....

Base,

With all due respect, sometimes the opportunity to take a swim test only comes 1/year at summer camp for a variety of reasons for some units. And sometimes the only opportunity for swim lessons,or instructional swim as I remember taking way back when, is only available at summer camp. That's why I would like more information.

Back to ideas.

If it is indeed stictches, depending upon the location, and a MD or DO's OK, a latex swim cap may be the answer.

If it is ear issues,tubes immediately comes to my mind, then the moldable silicon ear p;ugs may be the answer, again with a MD or DO's OK.

If it is an extreme fear of being underwater due to a previous incident of near, or, as was my case, actual drowning, that allows the scout to swim OK in shallow water, but once in deep water with no feet to put on the bottom extreme panic, then my thoughts are not only no, but heck no.

Again I was one of those who Scouts who when I started Scouts was a non swimmer who was terrified of water due to drowning at a young age (blacking out, CPR, EMS, etc) . Mom gave me an ultimatum a month after joining and finding out some of the stuff my first troop did: learn to swim or quit. I was extremely fortunate to have a YMCA nearby, and an instructor who had the patience of a saint to work with me, not only in class but also during his short break after a class one day that finally got me to swim like a fish in deep water.

Swimming is a life skill, and one that I do not believe short cuts or modifications should be allowed EXCEPT in medical circumstances.