Which requirement do you use?

With the recent changes to some of the BSA requirements, which standard does one hold the scout in the program to?

Specific example. If you have a scout working on the firebuilding requirement for 2nd class and they have completed the requirement, but have yet to achieve the rank of 2nd class... do you let it go?

OR

Since the requirement is now to light the fire, let it burn and put it out (as opposed to just showing how to do the firelay), does the lad need to revisit the requirement?

I'd think no, as I'm not going to make a kid getting his Eagle next month go back and redo the requirement for 2nd class just because its been changed, but what is the correct way?

Hasn't come up as a leader discussion (yet), but I can see it being one with the seemingly endless annual tweaks to requirements now.

On the same front... what if scout is all done with everything, sans Eagle project, but while planning eagle project - the new requirement for cooking MB becomes eagle required. Does the lad now have to go back and do the cooking MB before completing his project and BOR?

Page 6 of the 2013 requirements books: "The rank requirements in this book are official as of January 1, 2013. If a Scout has started work toward a rank before that date using requirements that were current before January 1, 2013, he may complete that rank using the old requirements. Any progress toward a rank that is begun after January 1, 2012, must use the requirements as they are presented in this Boy Scout Requirement book."

For the Eagle required merit badges it is different though. On the inside cover of the 2013 Requirement Book:

"Starting Jan. 1, 2014, Cooking merit badge will Be Rquired for Eagle

Effective Jan. 1, 2014, the Cooking merit badge will be required to botain the Eagle Scout rank. Regardless of when a Scout earned the Life rank or began working toward Eagle, unless he fulfills all the rank requirements--with the exception of his board of review--before Jan. 1, 2014, he must earn the Cooking merit badge to become an Eagle Scout."

So you'd have to review each scouts sign off history to be technically correct for ranks.

Page 6 of the 2013 requirements books: "The rank requirements in this book are official as of January 1' date=' 2013. If a Scout has started work toward a rank before that date using requirements that were current before January 1, 2013, he may complete that rank using the old requirements. Any progress toward a rank that is begun after January 1, 2012, must use the requirements as they are presented in this Boy Scout Requirement book." For the Eagle required merit badges it is different though. On the inside cover of the 2013 Requirement Book: "Starting Jan. 1, 2014, Cooking merit badge will Be Rquired for Eagle Effective Jan. 1, 2014, the Cooking merit badge will be required to botain the Eagle Scout rank. Regardless of when a Scout earned the Life rank or began working toward Eagle, unless he fulfills all the rank requirements--with the exception of his board of review--before Jan. 1, 2014, he must earn the Cooking merit badge to become an Eagle Scout." So you'd have to review each scouts sign off history to be technically correct for ranks.[/quote']

The Bryan on Scouting blog had a great piece on the Cooking MB since the intitial advice from BSA was confusing. So, if a non-Eagle Scout earned the Cooking MB before 2014 (when it was non-required), the badge can be converted to an Eagle required badge and used for Eagle. They can even swap their formerly non-required badge on their sash for a required version. Many of my guys got Cooking this past year just to make sure they had it knocked off. ;)

Had a chance to ask a few folks at our local Council about Cooking since I'm a Chef and will be the one teaching it. As far as they knew, the requirements (and the MB book) won't change. Anyone already having it, will continue to have it for Eagle. Anyone taking it after Jan1 will still be taking the same 'course' and fulfilling the same requirements.

Cool to hear that the guys who already have it can trade in the badge for the silver version. Thanks mozartbrau.

Had a chance to ask a few folks at our local Council about Cooking since I'm a Chef and will be the one teaching it. As far as they knew' date=' the requirements (and the MB book) won't change. Anyone already having it, will continue to have it for Eagle. Anyone taking it after Jan1 will still be taking the same 'course' and fulfilling the same requirements. Cool to hear that the guys who already have it can trade in the badge for the silver version. Thanks mozartbrau.[/quote']

The "rumor" (and it is just that) I heard was that the requirements may change slightly regarding the "lighter" hiking meals. Most trail meals are essentially MREs unless you go with the odd vendor that requires reconstitution and then cooking. But I understand those don't sell as well because few want the hassle of clean up while on the trail, and MREs are simply easier and these days pretty tasty. It that rumor is true they are said to be putting more focus on patrol-based cooking in some manner.

Glad to see cooking being elevated. Along with First Aid, Personal Management, Fitness and a few others, this is a life skill the boys will use every day.

Had a chance to ask a few folks at our local Council about Cooking since I'm a Chef and will be the one teaching it. As far as they knew' date=' the requirements (and the MB book) won't change. Anyone already having it, will continue to have it for Eagle. Anyone taking it after Jan1 will still be taking the same 'course' and fulfilling the same requirements. Cool to hear that the guys who already have it can trade in the badge for the silver version. Thanks mozartbrau.[/quote']

The "rumor" (and it is just that) I heard was that the requirements may change slightly regarding the "lighter" hiking meals. Most trail meals are essentially MREs unless you go with the odd vendor that requires reconstitution and then cooking. But I understand those don't sell as well because few want the hassle of clean up while on the trail, and MREs are simply easier and these days pretty tasty. It that rumor is true they are said to be putting more focus on patrol-based cooking in some manner.

Glad to see cooking being elevated. Along with First Aid, Personal Management, Fitness and a few others, this is a life skill the boys will use every day.

That's sad. Backpacking cooking is so much more that eating prepackaged foods and boiling water.

Totally agree. But most crews I see head out are all about what is easy. Jetboils have killed trail cooking. ;)