I am moving over to advancement chair and have encountered a situation I haven't thought about.

If I understand correctly, patches should be awarded as soon as the requirements are met- immediately after the BOR.

Yet in my council and the neighboring council, you can't purchase patches until after the board hs met and filled out the advancement report.

For those of you who do immediate recognition, how do you get the patches before the board meets to be ready to award them at its completion?

Prof

While I've never done this myself, I have heard about Scouters buying "replacement patches" -- just a few, because if you have a stock to hand out, when you finally do go to file the advancement report with a patch purchase, you'll be picking up some patches (that you might have already awarded).

From the Guide to Advancement,(you should read this from front to back, http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/33088.pdf)

4.2.1.4 The Scout Is Recognized - When the board of review has approved his advancement, the Scout deserves recognition as soon as possible. This should be done at a ceremony at the next unit meeting. The certificate for his new rank may be presented later, during a formal court of honor.

If your district is like mine and about an hour away from the closest scout shop, I would recommend recognizing the young man will and an announcement and a congratulations at the next meeting, and have a patch presentation monthly for all that advanced in the last month, cards can be handed out at the quarterly COHs.

Over time we've built up a stash of badges. We present both the cards and badges the same night at the Board of Review, if possible. Later, when the advancement reports are submitted, we get the new patch and restock our stash.

Here at least, the cards are unrestricted, so having a stack of them available is no problem. Even if you don't have the patches, you can present the cards immediately.

You can also just wait until the next meeting, thus giving you time to go the Scout Shop and turn in your paperwork and buy the badge. that is still better than waiting until the next Court of Honor and is what we do. We do have a stash, but sometimes you don't have that particular one

With a CoH scheduled every three months, this has never been a concern in my home Troop. The Scouts know who has done what, and the SMC and BoRs are usually done in the weeks before the CoH. The CoH in October is always a big deal with all the Summer Camp awards. Each of the others ends up with a particular flavor, but the Scouts have never complained about being "recognized" at them for their awards, even if they are three weeks after the BoR.

A nearby troop has a large fishing tackle box of patches kept in their scout closet. They restock after advancements. They immediately give the patch (rank or MB) and at the COH give the card. I like this appoach. Wish we were organized to do it too. :) The big challenge I always saw was how to initially create the supply. :)

I was thinking if I did it, I'd get one of those small portable plastic tool boxes. Keep everything in it. Forms, advancements, MB cards, etc. :) Any of the "paperwork" type of items.

1) We only give advancements and patches at the three CoH's per year. No instant gratification here.

2) Scout shop will not give out patches without entries in their system. Can't walk in with paper. Wife tried...got turn away and she was the AC of record.

As a Scout...I always received my 'rank' at the meeting after the BOR, and my cards at the Court of Honor. This was because we only did 2-3 Court of Honor per year, and it was possible to earn 2-3 rank between Court of Honor. (especially Scout-First Class)

For our Cub Scout pack, we have a supply of 2 or 3 of each rank. Yes, our council made a fuss...but our shop is a full 1+ hours away. Also like an earlier post, the cards are now un-restricted....funny part is, the cards are what we give out at the Court of Honor.

we have a poster type thing with all the boys listed in their patrols (just markered envelope labels) and then next to each scout is their current rank (just markered return address labels) at the end of a meeting where a boy completes his board and has signed off for the rank we call him forward hand him a label with new rank and he covers up his old.

next meeting the advancement chair has gotten to scout shop and brings badge and boy recieves badge

next court of honor boy recieves card and puts parent pin on a parent.

To my knowledge, the concept of "immediate recognition" came out in 1989. Prior to that, you got recognized for your advancment, but got everythign at the COH. Some troops continued that model. My tropp didn't change until 1993 when we got a new SM.

The way to build up "war chest" is to fill out an advancement report with several scouts names who have earned the rank, write " REPLACEMENTS" on the form, and submit. i would not buy many, maybe one or two extras at a time. I'm a big proponent of "war chests" b/c there are times when national runs out of stuff, especially CS ranks in Jan-Mar. and MBs July.- Sept.

My Council provides free patches with Internet advancement report from BSA. HOWEVER, they will sell unit leaders (SM, CC and Advancement Chair) the patches Scout through Life. I have a "stash" of rank patches and award just-in-time right after a BOR. The boys still get a second patch at the next COH along with their card. As long as I bring a report from Troopmaster showing the awards and BOR dates my Council is cool with that. Now, I am in a BIG council and we have a few shops. The "downtown" shop is a bit more stringent on insisting on BSA Internet advancement forms. The ones outside the city are a bit more lenient.

As a Scout in the 70s our SM gave out badges as we earned them....a big reason I stayed in Scouts as long as I did. COHs were for Eagles and MBs back then. Always went to COHs because you wanted to support the guys who made Eagle...there were fewer back then. A lot fewer. ;-)