Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a good place to start is, any adult that is going to hold the scout to the standard should be doing the same test (with same standard)... I bet dollars to doughnuts the majority of adult leaders (myself included) would be hard pressed to knock out a single pull up.

Comment

As noted by a few others, my troop will sign for less-than-whole improvement (0 to 1/2, 1/2 to 1, etc) on pullups, situps, and pushups, but the rest of them don't really lend themselves to an incremental approach.
      I generally despise, in the strongest sense of the word, "fudging" but in an honest case like CaveEagle's where the boy is trying and he has improved in the rest, yeah, if you have to get out your microscope it doesn't say "improve in each" it says "show improvement in the activities listed.
      But the boys in your case aren't trying, and, no, I wouldn't sign them off until they did.

Comment

Scouter99, it isn't an illness, just an extra chromosome, and he is a "regular kid". (Well at this point he's a regular adult) Also, he did not get diagnosed until a year or 2 after the pullup req... my point being just because a kid is physically weak does not mean he is not fit, or that trying harder would help.

Comment

It must be tough telling a kid that he'll never achieve Tenderfoot, while his buddies are all getting Eagle, just because he can't do a pull-up to some adult's expectation. It would be a shame is some scouter didn't get a knot for his shirt because he missed a roundtable because he had a funeral to attend. Rules are important, but even more so are people. Once BSA works through the homosexual and atheist issues, maybe they can tackle the pull-up issue.

Stosh

Comment

Roger that, Stosh. It's good to keep the big picture in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by jblake47 View Post
              It must be tough telling a kid that he'll never achieve Tenderfoot, while his buddies are all getting Eagle, just because he can't do a pull-up to some adult's expectation. It would be a shame is some scouter didn't get a knot for his shirt because he missed a roundtable because he had a funeral to attend. Rules are important, but even more so are people. Once BSA works through the homosexual and atheist issues, maybe they can tackle the pull-up issue.

Stosh
              There's a RT every month, and if a kid can't do a pullup by the age of 16, then there's something so wrong with him that he qualifies for an exception due to disability. I don't think anyone here is talking about never letting a kid advance over pull-ups, and if someone ran into that, there are lots of troops. We all squawk and point to the GtA's admonishment that no one may change advancement when some hardnose is making things harder, but it means easier, too.

Comment

Originally posted by DeanRx View Post
                I think a good place to start is, any adult that is going to hold the scout to the standard should be doing the same test (with same standard)... I bet dollars to doughnuts the majority of adult leaders (myself included) would be hard pressed to knock out a single pull up.
                DeanRx has a point. I was doing some climbing yesterday at a surprisingly challenging run. (They don't call the creek that formed these humble cliffs Slippery Rock for nuthin'.) Only the two very wirey boys in our group could beat it. The two girls and two adults couldn't get past the crux. Maybe if I had been working the Tenderfoot reqs with each new batch of scouts every year (i.e., dedicating one month to upping my stats by doing some repetitions every day), I'd have the upper body strength to work myself up that portion of the face on the one least slippery crack that always seemed at arms length.

Comment

Originally posted by jblake47 View Post
                  Once BSA works through the homosexual ... issues, maybe they can tackle the pull-up issue.
                  Pull-ups ARE gay.

Transgendered to be precise.

Pull-ups are not a requirement until after the "leadership skills" crowd sliced "Patrol Leader Training" off the program.

The outdoor naughty bits gone, Hillcourt's training to lead a Patrol into the woods was replaced with sedentary office theory.

You can hardly tell its fake!

Apparently you flunked Diversity Wood Badge.

Comment

• st0ut717
                    st0ut717 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Apparently you did however.
                    Really the first comment sound as if a 6th grader wrote it.

Otherwise it is classic homophobic stereotypes that you can demean someone.

For some reason I truly think you can run a scout PT program without this type of motivation.

I'd like to see the adult leaders qualify. Seems fair to me.

Comment

• King Ding Dong
                    King Ding Dong commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Except my SM is big into P90X.

Gotta love BSA and how they are pushing ne latest fitness craze. SCOUTSTRONG anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle92 View Post
                    Gotta love BSA and how they are pushing ne latest fitness craze. SCOUTSTRONG anyone?
                    BSA first began coordinating with the Presidential fitness program in 1963, literally 50 years ago. And, yes, ScoutStrong would be a great way to help the boys improve over their 30 days.

Comment

I have had scouts that breezed through the pull-ups - I was amazed at how many they could do. And then I have a few that go from 0 to 1/2. Two of the boys that are very close to 17-18 year eagles were in the 0 to 1/2 set. And those two still can't do a pull-up. One of them has been a great youth leader, an SPL more than once, a troop guide back when we were age based, and while never an official instructor he has taught numerous skills many times. It would really be sad if this boy didn't get eagle because he never could do a single pull-up!

Comment

My challenge with the pull-ups: We didn't have a pull-up bar for a long time. I put a removable on in our church a few years back. The church no longer allows it & removed the brackets. So, we can't work on it at the meetings, and it's not convenient for most of the boys. (And none of our trees have appropriate branches.) We need an alternative requirement, such as the number of reps lifting a 5 to 10 lbs weight, such as a gallon of water.
                        I have a feeling that the current requirement is inconsistently applied & in some cases ignored. We need a requirement that is more consistent and doable in a meeting and at home.

Comment

Removable bar with no brackets. There are several types. http://www.amazon.com/Wacces-Fitness...ds=pull+up+bar

Comment

Walking stick between two tallest scouts. Dash to the nearest playground. Lash a span between two tripods.

Comment

Working...
                            X