Disabilities Awareness belt loop

I have a Bear den of 8 boys. In this den, I have one child who's Autistic, one has Asperger's Syndrome, one has an anger management issue, one is ADHD, one has other medical issues. As the den leader, I've been finding it tough to have the boys go on "Go See Its".

I want them to earn the Disabilities Awareness so that I can promote the belt loop to the rest of the Pack. Unfortunately, the boys that need to go and get an understanding probably wouldn't show up for the Go See It or would be disrespectful.

I found U-tube had some videos from a school showing hearing impared teens singing to up-to-date music that the kids would know. I just think with this very diverse group of kids they would benefit more from a controlled environment

Anyone see any reason why we couldn't watch the videos instead of attending an event?

In the past, we have had dens that planned a go see it to the local sherrifs office, but had the sherrifs say that they could give a better presentation if they came to our CO instead.

Come den meetimng night, instead of a tour of a building and a jail cell, we had a van, patrol car and a K-9 unit show up. The dog performed some tricks, the cars did the whole lights and sirens thing and instead of that one den participating, 3 more dens participated.

Now, technically, that isn't a go see it, but the same goals were 99% accomplished..other thana a bunch of parents driving somewhere,. filling up an entire parking lot and scouts crowding an unfamiliar building.

So technically, it wasn't a go see it. But as far as we were concerned, it fit the bill.

Things sometimes have to be modified and "tweaked" to work.

Now, the above example was not even based on any physical, mental,or developmental situations.

In your particular case, I cannot imagine why anybody would take issue with it , nor can I see why they wouldn't encourage you to make as many adjustments as necessary to make it work out for your scouts.

Even Eagle rank has adjustmenst and alternative rank requirements based on and for disabilities.

Do a search and you might even find videos for things like a blind water skier or skydiver ..things along those lines that show disabilities, yet people still living life.

If there was a sign language interpretation along with it, I think a video would be fine.

You might also talk to your CM, and committee about hosting a disability presentation as a Pack meeting event. Kids love dogs, and Service Dogs are used for much more than just to help the visually impaired. There are Assistance Dog programs for many different kinds of disabilities such as Autism, Alzheimer's, hearing impaired, and more. Contact an organization in your area to see if they can do a presentation for your Pack, or den.

You might also do an internet search for disabilities awareness programs.

You can also contact a Merit Badge Counselor for the Boy Scout Disability Awareness Merit Badge. They should be able to put on a program for your den, or Pack. Call your Council Service Center to get Counselor contact info.(This message has been edited by Scoutnut)

Why not study yourselves? In the posts I've read, the "condition" of your den was referred to as "disabilities." Consider this: If I were a MB counselor near you, I'd ask permission to come watch your den in action, so we could learn about Aspergers and AD/HD, etc.

There's a lot more to disabilities awareness than wheelchair basketball and sign language.

BDPT00

Ed asks - "What does sign language have to do with the OP's question?"

The OP asked if watching a video of "hearing impared teens singing to up-to-date music" would complete the following requirement for the Cub Scout Disability Awareness Belt Loop -

"2) Attend a disabilities event such as an Easter Seals event, Special Olympics, a performance with sign language interpretation, an activity with Guiding Eyes dogs, or a wheelchair race."

We understand that the "conditions" in the den itself are disabilities.

The other requirement is to have a visitor with come and talk to the kids about their disability and what they like to do and what is hard for them. This would fit better with the kids from the den. I've put out a request to the parents if anyone knows a person with disabilities. If one of the parents volunteers their son, I'll be more than happy to have him share with the den.

My son is the boy who has Aspergers so his disability is not as obvious as the boy with Autism. I thought it would make it easier for him if the other boys understood him better. He wants nothing to do with it. He doesn't want his disability to label him and seperate him even more.

The OP asked if watching a video of "hearing impared teens singing to up-to-date music" would complete the following requirement for the Cub Scout Disability Awareness Belt Loop -

I haven't seen this video but I'm not sure there is a need for a sign language interpreter. Hearing impared doesn't always equal sign language.