Citizenship in Community movie?

I especially like the parts of "Remember the Titans" that follow that forming, storming, norming and performing biz. :-)

Anyway, when my oldest was working on CitComm, I recorded a few movies on our DVR:

Mr. Smith Goes To Washington

Lean on Me

A Civil Action

Erin Brockovich

We watched all of these over the course of several weeks, but when it came time to discuss a movie with his MBC, he only remembered "Lean on Me."

My son is one of a small group of Scouts doing Citizenship in the Community together. All the other boys looked at the list of Movies With a Meaning on meritbadge.org (http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Citizenship_in_the_Community#Movies_With_a_Meaning) and chose to watch The Mighty Ducks. I encouraged my son to pick something a little bit more dramatic and mature, so he watched Pay It Forward. I believe his couselor was impressed with his choice and what he got out of it.

• 1 month later...

Matter of opinion when it comes to "It's A Wonderful Life". I for one like it. But I like most Jimmy Stewart films. On a related note, I'd suggest "Flight of the Phoenix" (1965) - A community is forged together, works together, endures common tragedy, etc. (Never saw the 2004 remake, so I can't offer an opinion one way or the other) "The Keys of the Kingdom" (1944) would be a good choice too - A community is forged together, works together, etc., etc. "To Kill A Mockingbird" (1962) would probably work too.

"Support Your Local Sheriff", while a comedy, can be used to point out what happens when civic leaders take the easy path.

M*A*S*H: The job must be done, even when the community doesn't play nice together.

"Paint Your Wagon": Another that works by showing life from a seedier side.

"The Music Man": Unity can come from seemingly unimportant things (not to mention Buddy Hackett on the sousaphone is a sight, especially when you've seen young men and women proudly march with their horns).

• 2 years later...

OK, I and my Troop's other Citizen in the Community counselor feel pretty strongly about the choice of movies. We now have a list of no-no's; no outer space/time/space and no animation/cartoons, no superhero/heroes.

There are so many good movies out there. So here is a pretty extensive list

It's a Wonderful Life (If a Scout has no idea--then this is a must!! 1946)

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)

Boys Town (1938)

Follow me Boys (Another one of those must sees for a Scout, 1966)

Hoosiers (1986)

Facing the Giants (2006)

Stand and Deliver (1988)

Lean on Me (1989)

Hoot (2006)

Mr. Holland's Opus (1995)

Dolphin Tale (2011)

Big Miracle (2012)

Erin Brockovich (2000)

Schindler's List (1993)

Braveheart (1995)

Hotel Rwanda (2004)

Gandi (1982)

Great Debaters (2007)

Invictus (2009)

Shane (1953 -- others may not like this but I do)

Daens (1992)

and

Remember the Titans (2000) A favorite of the boys--but I caution them. One of my all time favorites so if they want to chose this one, that's fine. It is a great movie. But it is one of my favorites. So I know I can ask a lot moe questions and we really can get into the movie.

I don't think you will find a counselor in the entire BSA system that would turn down any of these movies. Why? Because each of these movies deal with an individual who ends up changing the lives of those around them. An example of a movie I am not crazy about for Community; Blindside. The primary character, Michael Oher; how does he affect the community? How does Leigh Tuoghy change the wider community? The movie is how she affects Micheal's life. The movies above deal with someone effecting multiple lives. Granted some counselors will say no problem AND that is OK! I just wanted to provide a pretty safe list.

Remember the five magic words: #5 "With the approval of your counselor..." So before you go and say I will use Yogi Bear, Cars, Star Wars, Back to the Future--- and get turned down. Ask your counselor. I will bet you that he or she will like at least 95% of the movies on my list. (Shane might be the only one they don't like--but I have to have at least one Western in there)